Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

J16 pin 1/2

Singlewing

When trying to get a reading from whirlpool vmw.washer...These 2 pins i am told to get a reading from..On A.C.. Do i test with harness still connected?

You measure voltage with the harness plugged in and you measure resistance (ohms) with the machine unplugged and the harness disconnected.

If you're measuring the resistance of a shifter motor, do that with the machine unplugged and the J16 unplugged. Should read around 2.5k.

What's up with your washer? Include the model number.

• Like 1

thanks for the info.. i refurbished direct drives and i started the washer and dryer repair course and now trying my hands at a vmw washer ... I bought a meter that reads lowz and just didnt feel certain with what i was performing... 

1 hour ago, Singlewing said:

with the harness plugged in .. where do i insert the probes ?

You have now moved from analog repairs to digital repairs. Look over the little tech booklet located (behind the front panel) at the top on the left. It will tell you how to pull the error codes, erase the error codes and how to troubleshoot the machine.

The only way you are going to be successful is to learn the digital scheme. MST Academy offers that understanding to so much more to do with Appliance Repair. Go for the fundamentals course first. I've taken the courses. Money well spent. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Singlewing said:

with the harness plugged in .. where do i insert the probes ?

Whirlpool doesn't make this easy. You can generally lift up the wire harness and see where the wire is pushed through a metal "blade." You can test from those blades. Rotate the console around to make life easier. Make damn sure the pressure hose is connected before you snap everything back together. 

Good luck on the course. 

Ok ..do.i need special.leads to get behind those wires..I order smaller one's and still having trouble finding connection...I ended up ohm the lid lock and the lock was reading open..J15 pins 3/4... This was done with machine unplugged..I am now assuming it is the lid lock that is preventing it from spinning..

Most of the time there will be a code sir in memory if you're lid lock is a problem.  Have you pulled the codes? You don't need special leads to test that connector.  You just have to find a spot to insert them.  

Ok it didn't give that code..it gave the shifter code,but i replaced that already ...In manual test mode the lid wont lock when trying to activate spin cycle 

5 hours ago, Singlewing said:

In manual test mode the lid wont lock when trying to activate spin cycle 

You have to lock the lid first, then move on to activate spin.