Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Maytag top load LAT9706AAE will not drain/spin on normal load selection

MamaCanDoIt

Maytag Top loader washer LAT9706AAE

Washer will not spin/drain when the load is set to "normal" wash load. I can get it to spin out on the "delicate" load selection on the dial.

I am thinking it is the timer. I am perplexed though, because the "on" light still lights up even on the non functioning spin cycles on the Washer? I can not tell from the wiring diagram if it will light "on" to tell you it is getting power, even if the "spin" cam is out on it?

Mama needs to get diaper laundry washed and is on a crazy tight budget. Is it likely the timer and is it worth ordering such an expensive part? I have kept her alive this long, she is kind of like family! 

Thank you!

With out looking at the wiring diagram, some motors have more than one speed to them. If you turn the dial like you said to normal speed, do you hear the motor try to start, also do you hear a clicking noise in front. Take the control off, put in normal mode and listen to the timer slowly turn to spin, do you hear anything. If you do, the gears maybe broke and you will need a timer. Any way if you have a meter you can test the speed that works against the speed that don't. Gentle is slow speed.

Ok. So you are saying One motor speed might be burned out instead of just the timer?

when i turn the dial to spin under normal cycle, I get nothing. Just the click of pulling the knob out. 

I tried to listen to the knob counting down through the cycle, but I couldn't hear anything, unless  I needed to take it apart to hear?

Turn the knob to spin in a spot where you have been having trouble and pull the knob to start. Grasp the knob and gently press up and down and wiggle it side to side. If the motor cuts in and out, get a timer.

As far as is it worth it, see if you can remove the front panel (either two Phillips screws or two clips underneath that you can pry out with your thumb.) Remove the panel and look inside the cabinet. If you see a thick greenish black sludge slung all over the inside, get a new washer. Look for streaks on the underside of the outer tub where the transmission goes into the tub. If you see any, that indicates a bad seal and you would replace the mounting stem and tub bearing. Two different parts, one comes with the seal.

Let us know what you find.

• Like 1

So, i went down to listen to the timer.... With my kids being quiet. I could hear the ticking now and it it scared me by actually advancing and spinning?! So an intermittant problem would be most likely be the timer and not the motor I assume? I will tear it apart toMorrow to inspect the inside but I had it apart last year to replace the air pressure sensing hose and I do not remember it being awful in there.

thanks!

It will be the timer ,  very common problem for a 20 year old maytag.  Well worth fixing !!!!!!

• Like 1

I ran a load but it went through a full cycle normal but then kept on going and did the extra rinse. Does that support the timer being off or is this something else? The button for extra rinse was clearly not selected at all on the control panel.

And now it will not spin for permanent press either. Only delicate.

i can hear it click When it is supposed to engage spin, but nothing happens.

Start a spin, grab the knob and press up and pull down and see if you can get the motor to cut in and out. Very quick and easy to do.

• Like 1

I tried to wiggle the knob and it does not engage the spin. But it did end up spinning after I went all the way around and tried one last time so I dont know what to think or do.

From all you have said I still think your timer is going bad, but I will say that if your serial number starts with 14 or less the older lid switch design can SOMETIMES mimic timer symptoms. If your serial number is starts with 15 or higher the newer style switch either works or it doesn’t so it will for sure be the timer.  Also there is two different timers for your model based on what your serial number begins with.

Thank you! I replaced the lid switch and the water fill air pressure hose thing last year so those should be good. 

Do I pull the timer then to see what part I need to order?

thanks again!

Just look it up on any appliance parts website with your model number, also this particular washer you will need the 1st two numbers of the serial number since there are two different timers for your model