Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Kenmore Refrigerator 116.51122210 only cooling freezer but not cooling fridge at all

Omar Gonzalez

Omar Gonzalez

Kenmore Refrigerator 116.51122210 only cooling in freezer side but not cooling fridge at all. I am trying to fix my Kenmore refrigerator and the Fridge side is not cool at all an the freezer side only cools when it is supposed to freeze. I started by unplugging the fridge and them waited until the compressor turned on. When I finally heard the compressor kick in the compressor was indicating a 1.12 amps. Then after sometime the comressor turned off and never heard the compressor turn on again. How should be my next troubleshooting step.

17 minutes ago, Omar Gonzalez said:

How should be my next troubleshooting step.

First step is a good model number.

The one you posted does not show up anywhere that I can find.

@Omar Gonzalez

Well buddy I'm not sure what to tell you. The information you gave is vague and really makes no sense. 

Lets take it from scratch. Is the evaporator fan motor running? Is the condenser fan motor running? Are the lights going out when you close the door? Is the condenser clean? Is the compressor running? If not running do you have voltage to it? If you do have voltage to it are the windings good and not gone to ground? How about the start components on it? You may just have a bad PTC relay or week overload?  Do you have a full sticky frost pattern on the evaporator or is it maybe all iced up due to a defrost problem? Do you have good air flow out of the damper and is the return air flow clear? That will give you a start. By the way that's a Whirlpool built refrigerator...

Edited by Quick
Forgot to catch his attention.
  • Like 1

Omar Gonzalez

I know that the condensor fan does turn on and I only heard the compressor turn on once. Will check everything you recommend Thanks for the advice and sorry for not being able to explain myself correctly.

10 hours ago, Omar Gonzalez said:

I know that the condenser fan does turn on and I only heard the compressor turn on once.

From looking at the schematic if the condenser fan motor is running  as you say you either have a bad compressor or bad start components on the compressor. 

Try a 3 in 1 hard start kit on it and keep your fingers crossed.

If your fridge is not cold but the freezer is ok you are encountering a pretty common issue for a household fridge. Most of the time this might be caused due to a faulty evaporator fan, frosted evaporator coils or a faulty damper control. No worries it is a pretty easy fix and we are able to help same day in most cases.

Condenser Coils: The condenser coils are located under the fridge and can easily get dirty. These coils help dissipate heat as refrigerant moves through them. If the coils get dirty they don't work as well and need to be cleaned. Yeah, an easy fix!

I found this at https://www.electrafixbc.ca/appliances/fridge.html

Check it out for more info on your fridge issue.  Good luck!

You say the freezer only cools when it is supposed to freeze, so do you mean the freezer is not 0°F? If freezer is at proper temperature it is most likely air flow issue like MaxRepair said. If freezer is not at proper temperature then start moving towards compressor/condenser issues.

For troubleshooting a warm fridge the samurai has provided a flowchart which is pinned to the top of this forum section