Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Looking for advice: Stock of appliance repair parts

baymen

Hi everyone, posting this in here at the recommendation of the site admin.

I came across this  site a few times while researching appliance repair resources. I have a bit of a unique problem I was hoping someone on the forum might be able to help with.

My father ran a successful appliance repair business for over 20 years. He was a sole proprietor and took a lot of pride in his work. We recently lost him unexpectedly and there was no contingency plan in place for the business. It's all been quite a burden for our family during an already difficult time.

Anyway, we are sorting through his things and have thousands of New Old Stock appliance parts. He mainly serviced GE and Whirlpool brands. I have little idea what I'm looking at, or what to do with it.

I thought I could systematically catalogue what he has by part number and got through a few boxes of parts, but realize it would probably take ~100 hours to catalogue everything and I'm not sure if that would even be worthwhile.

My question is, are there any appliance repair classified parts listings I could post to? Or is there a publication I can place an ad in? Or maybe a parts retailer that specializes in NOS parts that I can reach out to? We live in New York, if that helps.

Also open to hearing any advice someone may have for us regarding the business. I’ve been told to hold onto the business phone number and old invoices in hopes it might be worth something to another local repair business. Not looking for a windfall from any of this…it just seems like a shame to let everything my dad worked on go to a scrap pile or landfill.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MichTech517

• certified tech group 51

• LI-NY Tech

• baymen

I would put them on eBay or maybe if there are any other local repair guys that you can locate they may be interested in buying them at a discounted price. What state are you in?  

It is possible that another company may want to buy the business name, number etc but it may be pretty complicated depending on how he had things set up. 

If it’s a large stock of current parts a parts distributor may be interested in purchasing them at a discounted rate. Marcone is the biggest parts supplier and they have many locations in NY. Where in the NY was the business?

I may be interested in buying the part stock depending on what all is available there and if shipping to me would be a possibility. 

Edited by MichTech517

go to My Part Shelf . com........ A cloud warehouse of Appliance and H.V..A.C. parts.....Start there....Some one will want a parts list of what ya got, best start writing........  No body following in the fathers footsteps???.................................Sorry for your loss....