Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Mystery squeak and tangled clothes

ameritech

I’ve got two perplexing problems to two different washers: The first is a newer Maytag – commercial technology Toploader ( basically a Cabrio). MOD: MVWB765FW1. There is a high-pitched squeak during agitation. Everything works fine otherwise. No error codes. I pulled the agitator certain I would find something stuck down in there --but nothing. After more checking, I’m almost certain the squeak is coming from the rotor and stator, but I have no idea why. I found some possible wear on the rotor– the edges were a little bit beveled, but  nothing too crazy. I’ve seen that we’re on other motors with no problem. I’ll try to post a video of the squeak and a picture of the rotor.

The other is a Maytag centennial about 11 years old (VMW style).MOD: MVWC200XW2.  no error codes and all cycles work but it’s tangling up the clothes extremely so during agitation. I bypassed the lid lock so I could open it up and see what was going on during agitation, and the best way I can describe it it was like it was partially spinning during agitation— The basket was not stationary. I’ll try to post a video of that as well.

I welcome any and all ideas, even from left field! I checked with a buddy of mine – the guy who trained me at Sears years ago, And he couldn’t help me. Which is saying a lot—  he’s one of the best techs I know.

Thank you!

Jared

AmeriTech

So I tried to post pics/videos from my phone but that option doesn’t seem to be available. I’m pretty sure I did so in the past. Is a website url the only way now?

You can't post pictures maybe because you only have "Grasshopper" status - would have to post the pics/videos somewhere else and post a link to them in your post.

The second VMW-Maytag most likely has a bad/weak run capacitor - if the tub looks like it trying to spin in agitate and the agitator only seems to be doing a stroke in one direction only is all signs of a bad run capacitor, (by the way this machine is around 8 years old, I think the VMW came out sometime around 2010-2011.   This would probably be one of the first ones).

Is what happens is the motor is able to run in one direction but with a weak capacitor when the control tells the motor to stop and turn in opposite direction the motor doesn't have enough torque to stop and go the opposite direction so each agitate stock is in the same direction causing the basket to start turning in the same direction and wrapping the clothes around the agitator..

Part number: W10278556

Part number: W10278556

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

@ameritech

I've seen two in the past week with the same mystery squeak complaint. Any luck?

**just saw oil leaking onto rotor and dripping off of drain pump.

IMG_2501.JPG

IMG_2502.JPG

IMG_2503.JPG

Edited by Coley
More stuff!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Coley,

The customer backed out of moving forward after I gave him quotes of potential repairs, so I wasnt able to dig in. I tracked the noise to the best of my ability and my guess was rotor/stator rub. Interesting re the oil. Did you find any inside the rotor? Any wear on the magnets?

Jared

... And thanks Budget. Customer went ahead and got a speed queen, but I will keep that in mind. Although I've only had to change one or two caps on a washer before...

13 hours ago, ameritech said:

... And thanks Budget. Customer went ahead and got a speed queen, but I will keep that in mind. Although I've only had to change one or two caps on a washer before...

I really think you are missing the boat by not joining this site as a professional. 

You’ll get lots more help and info as a member. Best thing I ever did was join. 😀

• Like 1

just for a point of information :  On the high pitched squeaking. Not sure if its a constant squeaking  or one that pauses between squeaks but I remember a GE topload washer I had that sqeaked during agitation and I found it to be coming from the suspension rod joint on top.  the rear suspension rod where it hangs off the apron on top was squeaking from the socket that the rod is placed into in each corner of the apron.    

4 hours ago, 16345Ed said:

I really think you are missing the boat by not joining this site as a professional. 

You’ll get lots more help and info as a member. Best thing I ever did was join. 😀

16345ed  gave you a suggestion  of joining the site as a professional.  I highly reccomend his suggestion.  He is spot on with that advice. You will be so much more prepared for prediagnosing your calls and nailing down your issues before going to each of your calls for the day  when your registered as a professional  in a site such as this to help you . Good luck ameritech and may the force be with you. :D 

• Like 1

Thanks Ed. Very interesting.  This one really seemed to be coming from motor but I will look for that in the future. Ya, I used to be a professional member but some hefty medicals forced me to make some cuts--unfortunately this was one of them. But as soon as i can I look forward to getting back.

On 2/19/2020 at 1:36 PM, ameritech said:

Hey Coley,

The customer backed out of moving forward after I gave him quotes of potential repairs, so I wasnt able to dig in. I tracked the noise to the best of my ability and my guess was rotor/stator rub. Interesting re the oil. Did you find any inside the rotor? Any wear on the magnets?

Jared

No wear on rotor or stator. Customer states that squeak has stopped. hmmm..

On 2/20/2020 at 8:44 AM, darren412 said:

just for a point of information :  On the high pitched squeaking. Not sure if its a constant squeaking  or one that pauses between squeaks but I remember a GE topload washer I had that sqeaked during agitation and I found it to be coming from the suspension rod joint on top.  the rear suspension rod where it hangs off the apron on top was squeaking from the socket that the rod is placed into in each corner of the apron.    

Dont know if you saw this but darren412 posted this above. I dont think this was the case in mine, but I also didnt check the cups...

• 11 months later...

Hi guys also wanting to follow this thread as I have had the second one of these this week just come in, the first one has a squeal associated with the rotation of the tub but the wash plate bolt was seized in place and I did not want to shear it off to continue doing an exploratory surgery on the machine but it seemed to be coming from the seal and shaft, perhaps.... The second one has the same squeal associated with the rotation of the tub (video text message) though the customer seems apprehensive about scheduling with me. So the big question is what's going on and I want to follow this thread in case more information comes available

• 11 months later...