Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Evidence of mouse inside control panel

6lackM3tal

Was Gifted a slightly used, unworking Whirlpool electric dryer. It won't heat up. Replaced all of the common problems. (heating element, upper limit thermo, thermostat control, 2 different fuses, pigtail).

Only thing left would be the wiring and the controls. There is evidence of mice living inside the control panel, and one of them chewed thru insulation on one of the timer wires (white-blue). I was able to read continuity from the exposed wire to the terminal. I think I'm on the right track. Any advice? Looks like the only path from the chewed wire would be to ground. Is that enough to short the timer?

I don't know how to add individual images from Google photos so here's a link to my Google photos https://photos.app.goo.gl/coLz9wDQjMa4aL8M6

Based on your picture, I can tell you have a dryer with a particularly failure prone timer. Very common for the heater contact in that timer to fail. If that’s the case, then it’s unrelated to your mouse problem.

Also you may be surprised, but a failure in the drive motor can also cause your dryer to run but not heat. So I wouldn’t assume that the timer will fix it for a certainty, or that you must have a wiring problem. Usually mice will chew through the insulation but not through the entire wire. As long as the bare portion isn’t touching anything metal, it doesn’t cause a problem

Thanks for your prompt reply. What are some good trouble shooting methods to figure out if it's the motor? I found the timer on Amazon for $65 and it'll be here the 31st.

The light blue wires had no continuity from the timer to the fuse. But they had continuity from the fuse to the start switch. It's late and I can't remember if they were on the temperature selector switch

With the motor running, you need to check for voltage coming through the Line 2 heater circuit in the motor. The motor has a switch that only allows the heater to work if the motor is running. But if you already ordered the timer, just replace it and see if that takes care of your problem. At this point it’s the most likely option

• Like 1

Burnt contacts in the timer is a pretty common issue with that style of Whirlpool dryer. A quick way to determine if it's the timer is to start the dryer and then sort of tweak/push down on one side of the timer knob as it's running; this sometimes allows the burnt contacts to make contact and energize the heating element. I carry a point file in my toolbox to repair timer contacts. 

7 minutes ago, EthanRanft said:

That works for you without repeat failures?

It depends how burnt/corroded the contacts are.. as long as there's enough material left to file down to a fresh surface it should work for quite a while. You will also want to slightly bend the required contact(s) after cleaning with the point file to ensure they're making proper contact  (usually bending only the outer one is required). This can also be used to temporarily get the dryer working until a new timer arrives, if you prefer.