LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out our on-demand appliance repair training webinars.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

GE Profile Range JT980BH3BB constantly clicks

AWSHandy

I have done some reading on this.  When the Double Wall oven is set to heat,  it clicks constantly until turned off and cools off.  It seems it may be relays on the main power board, or sail switches left or right.  I have not taken it out of the wall or opened to test/observe.  I am certain someone here has seen this issue.  How to resolve?  Any help appreciated.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AWSHandy

• Quick

@AWSHandy

What you're hearing may be normal? Lot's of switching going on with this oven You got bake and broil elements switching back and forth. Fans changing directions. Lot's going on with this one . How long have you had it? Did it just start doing this?  

Yes, it just started.  From what I have read, relays can click and the sail switch may interfere or may not be properly "blown" by the fan.    Surely this must be an issue that others have experienced.  I have seen youtube videos of the same issue, just no solution as of yet.

4 minutes ago, AWSHandy said:

Yes, it just started. 

Well buddy I've never even worked on this particular oven.

If you can locate the tech sheet with it you might want to pull error codes and run the various loads.

That's where I would start.

2 hours ago, AWSHandy said:

it clicks constantly until turned off and cools off. 

So you turn it off and it continues to click until it (COOLS OFF)

Take your tech sheet and go into service mode. Run all the loads. More so the oven cooling fan or fans. Make sure they are running and running up to speed. You should be able to feel the air move out of the grill somewhere or another. 

I think you are on the right track thinking sail switch or fan not moving enough air. I've seen those fans run but not run fast enough to move proper air. 

You got a booger bear.

Good luck.

Hello,

I went back to look at this.  I discovered some important points.  1) when the control panel cover was taken off, but still attached the clicking stopped.  The oven was on and the clicking stopped.  The airflow from the fan (not sure which one) could be felt and the clicking stopped.  If the display panel was reattached, the clicking started up again.  I could determine it was NOT caused by either of the sail switches.  2) when the oven was taken out from the wall, the oven did NOT click even though the display panel was attached. 

So,  this is directly related to the airflow.  I could tell that the clicking sound came from somewhere around the center or center right front of the electronics compartment on top of the top wall oven.  I could not pinpoint the source.  Maybe a relay.  Not sure which board,  one of 2 near the front.   With this information,  is there any help you can lend to this issue.  It would be much appreciated.  Thank you.

That might possibly be it.  I have another idea.  What is the function of item 701 on the cooling parts diagram.  It is called the Motor Vent p/n WB26T10024 replaced by WB26T10030.  The reason I suspect this is that there is NO CLICKING when the front control panel is even slightly moved/tilted away for the electronic control compartment.  Once, secured, the clicking begins again.  Additionally, I can feel and hear the blower assy you indicated functioning.  It appears there are moving parts on the Motor Vent.  This issue is really perplexing me.  Thank you for your reply.

@AWSHandy

Tell you what buddy.  This is a complex gizzmo this range right here. You throwing a really good trouble shoot at me. I don't know what item your talking about on what diagram. Something like this requires a experienced technician on site. A technician having tech literature in hand, knowing how to read it and how to manipulate circuits.  I admire your tenacity. But I'm afraid this is as far as I can take you. Good luck! Let me know how it all turns out.