Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn how to troubleshoot like a Master Samurai Tech...

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
sweetmommy

Frigidaire side-by-side freezing everything

9 posts in this topic

I need some major help. Everything in my refridgerator freezes up (including ice maker and water filter). It started doing this at the factory settings, so we turned the cold controls all the way down and finally got things moving, but now the ice is partially thawing. It also seems the top of the fresh food side freezes quicker than the bottom. I think this all started after our power was turned back on. (I don't know what that would have to do with it. Could just be coincidence) Got any ideas?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Hi Mom!  What's that model number?

Also,  How long was the power off?  How old is the fridge? 

Power was off the whole day because of bad weather. I'm pretty sure we didn't lift the icemaker lever to turn it off that day. It's a little over a year old. This morning the water filter is frozen again, but the icemaker is full. The cold controls are turned almost all the way down. I'm thinking maybe the cold air in the freezer is somehow getting over to the fresh food side, but I don't know why it would just start doing this when it's worked fine for so long. The model number is FRS26HF7BB2.

There was an issue about 3 years ago with these doing exactly what you describe. Frigidaire brought out a kit which involved changing out the entire assembly in the refrigerator compartment which contains the air damper and controls. Can you give us an idea of the age of your unit, it may help us to pinpoint whether this is a possibility.

Apologies, hadn't seen that you'd already mentioned the age of the unit.

Yours has an electrically operated air damper which admits freezer air into the refrigerator compartment, I suspect the little motor may have fried when the power came back on. It may well be stuck open. It is controled by the refrigerator control knob at the top of the refrigerator compartment. Try turning that control and see if there's any difference in airflow. I've attached a wiring diagram FYI.

post-13-129045084545_thumb.gif

Hi.Haven't posted yet to see whether or not this would fix it. What's strange is that I was just trying to take the plastic casing off, moved it around a little bit, and before I had it completely off, the water started running into the icemaker again. The cold controls had been all the way down and we stopped having ice production. It has started running again now. I still don't know if the fresh food side is going to start freezing again. I'm slowly turning the control up little by little.

if this is a 23 or 25 cubic foot model with the freezer and fresh food controls in the top frount of the fresh food section the more than likely the control  box kit will need to be replaced   the part number for the kit is 5303918283:banana:

Thanks for the part number, Fixum.  Hey, Mom, the picture below is the control box kit and you can buy it here:

00133766.jpg