Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological. 
      We have a special session planned for this one. Instead of the usual Show 'n Tell on a technical topic, we're going to post tech sheets in the comments to this Calendar Event (scroll down to see what's posted so far) and ask specific questions that can only be answered by reading the tech sheet. If you at least try to answer the questions beforehand, you'll get a lot more out of it. The tech sheet and the questions are posted in the comments section below.
      Your mission, if you should choose to accept it, is to check out the questions for each one and try to answer them ahead of time. Then come to the Dojo to see how well you did! 
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Stainless dent removal tips?

ameritech

I was out on wall oven yesterday -- which will be my last and final-- and as I got the beast back in the customer noticed a "dent". You could barely tell unless you backed up and in the right light it revealed a smudge. Nonetheless, it is a dent and I am responsible. As I am greatly hoping not to have to purchase a $200 door for them, I thought I'd check the wealth of knowledge on here for tips. Any of you guys ever been there done that? Any success? I greatly appreciate any tips!

Jared

AmeriTech

I'd just buy the new panel.

Once they know there was a dent you'll never be able to make it invisible. The dent actually stretches the metal and there's really no way to make it go back and be perfect.

What's the model #?

Edited by Terry Carmen

+1 for replacement panel, that's probably the only solution that the Cust. will feel good about.

OTOH, I've never tried it, but I've heard some techs have used freeze-spray to minimize dents.

Thanks for the quick responses guys--and for the link Ed. Well I was out there yesterday with a dent suction tool I picked up at auto zone a while back for my ford ranger. I heated it carefully with heatgun and put a little soap on the surface... It seemed to help but dent is still there. I offered to replace the door panel but she didnt want me to have to do that. So at her insistence, Im going to try some other options. (compressed air and alternate heat w/suction?) I have a feeling will prob be replacing this one though...

Hmm. I just looked and it looks like the glass is bonded to the metal, and I'm thinking that doing anything much would shatter it.

If this were my customer, I'd buy her a new door and tell her you want her to be 200% happy.

Even if she's willing to let the ding slide, she's going to see it every day forever and probably keep complaining about it to her friends and end up costing you way more than $200 in lost business.

OTOH, if you fix it, she'll tell them that you wanted to make it right even though she said not to bother.

Just my two cents . . . 

Good point Terry. Ya I just need to replace it. On a good note sears  just refunded me $119 from 2 parts I sent back in 2017 but they dropped the ball on : ). Perfect timing! 

I've never done it but think I've heard of using dry ice and rubbing around the perimeter of the dent, the extreme cold shrinks the metal and pulls the dent out, (kind of the same principle of the freeze spray but better control).

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Budget Appliance Repair said:

I've never done it but think I've heard of using dry ice and rubbing around the perimeter of the dent, the extreme cold shrinks the metal and pulls the dent out, (kind of the same principle of the freeze spray but better control).

Cool idea !!!!!!!!

When I have to pull wall ovens, the door(s) come off first thing..............Easier to pull onto the cart and lighter...Then when it goes back into its hole, You should push on the front of the frame, more durable part of the unit....Then reinstall the door(s)..