Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Need help with Dehumidifier

apphlp

Hi everyone, I need help with dehumidifier units and am hoping someone here can point me to the right direction, any leads would help.

I have issues with dehumidifier units that I have, one is Delonghi DH90U 40 pint and other is a Fedders 45 pint, need help with these. Delonghi Dehumidifier runs on fan and after a min or so tries to start the compressor. The compressor starts and I hear it running and after a few seconds compressor stops and it runs on fan again. It tries to start again and the compressor runs for a few secs and then shuts off and the unit runs on fan again. could this be a capacitor problem (not enough charge/voltage ?) or some overload switch problem ? pls help locate/identify the problem.

second problem with another unit. This unit starts on fan and stays on fan. I dont hear any click or any attempt to start the compressor it just stays on fan. could it be humidistat, or relay or even a capacitor problem?

would appreciate your help.

thanks.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

currently there is no water in the unit. its empty. two units both with different problems. they havent been used in a while due to these issues. I believe dehumidifiers works on a similar concept as the A/C so am hoping people have experience fixing Air conditioners and can help me with dehumidifier problems as these are prone to same problems as A/C

I am having the same overload problem with an older (10+??) Fedders dehumidifier fad25.  The fan runs for a little while, then the compressor clicks but doesn't run, then after a little while later it does the same thing (clicks like the compressor is going to run..).

Ok......now for what I have already found/done.  I recieved this dehumidifier from one of my tenants and said I would see if I could revive it.  I tore it down and checked the humidostat and found it was bad.  I jumpered around it and found that the compressor still wouldn't run.  I checked the overload switch(capacitor) and was pretty sure it was bad.  I ordered both pieces and just put them on.....and I am still having what sounds like an overload issue.  Does this mean my compressor is bad? and if so, is it worth replacing, or better to just by a different unit?

I checked the water level switch....in the unit I have the high water level will shut down the fan, so that isn't my problem.

Just finished replacing the tub bearing/seal on my washer (about 2.5hr job the first time) so I am heading for some beer.

Laterz

Guest ahammer48

Hello

Yes an A/C unit and dehimidifier are pretty much the same. A/C units are more interested in the room temp vs a dehumidifier which is interested in room moisture content. One has a thermostat VS a humidity sensor.

Before we start trouble shooting I have to ask how comfortable U are with working  on high voltage ? 115VAC isn't 2 high but if U aren't comfortable working with it I would say its probably cheaper and safer to just buy a new unit. ( UR time is worth something);)

Let me know

I am fine with 115 volts.  I get a little nervous working with 240, but only to the point I am much more cautious.  I commonly change out outlets and switches hot when I can't find a circuit breaker (I know, not the brightest thing to do.)

[user=8359]ahammer48[/user] wrote:

Hello

Yes an A/C unit and dehimidifier are pretty much the same. A/C units are more interested in the room temp vs a dehumidifier which is interested in room moisture content. One has a thermostat VS a humidity sensor.

Before we start trouble shooting I have to ask how comfortable U are with working  on high voltage ? 115VAC isn't 2 high but if U aren't comfortable working with it I would say its probably cheaper and safer to just buy a new unit. ( UR time is worth something);)

Let me know

I am ok working with it too. i havent worked too much with AC devices but can work with help from people here and will be cautious. The only thing I am not too sure about and get concerned about is the capacitor as it holds large amount of charge. How do you discharge it to safely test it. I have ready that you can short and pop it but am not too comfortable doing that. is there any easy way to discharge the capacitor, is there any device/kit that you can buy that helps to discharge and test it ?

Guest ahammer48

Hello

clightle---I hope U don't mind if I ask U 2 start Ur own thread on Ur problem. I don't mind helping but it gets a little confusing 2 keep track of who's asking what question about which unit in 1 thread. Naturally Ur more then welcome to read my responses to apphlp. I hope I can help ya both:)

I have to ask U both though. Are these basic dehumidifiers? Has a control knob and such. Not with electronic touch key pads. They make trouble shooting alot harder. Also think about if its worth it to trouble shoot or just replace. Depending on whats wrong and the units age it might not B worth UR time and effort;)

Ok. Yes. There are cap checkers U can but @ like Radio Shack, WW Grainger, Johnstone Suppy, etc. A good electronic supply house should carry them 2. But if U have a analog multimeter(with a needle pointer, not a digital display) we can use that to check the cap.

Disconnect all power to the unit and let it sit awhile. In the mean time we want to gain access to the humidistat, capacitors, compressor, on/off swiches, etc. Remove the panels to expose these items.

Damn. My pager just went off. Lucky me is on call this weekend. Will continue later.:?

Guest ahammer48

OK i'm back. Sorry bout that. So hopefully in the week since I started this UV let the unit sit unplugged & taken the panels off.  Lets check the switches 1st with continuity. :poison: Make sure unit is unplugged and has no power. Take the wires off the on/off switch. Always make a diagram as U do so they go back where they should. Its good practice to always do this. Set Ur multimeter to ohms.  Hopefully the SW only has 2 terminals on it. If theres more, will deal with it.

With the SW in the off position put 1 test lead on one terminal of the SW and the other lead on the other terminal. Nothing should happen with the meter. It should stay at 0. Now turn the SW to on and the needle should go to infinity. Back to off & the needle should return to 0. The SW is good if the above happens. U should also (but not always) hear a click when U move the SW between on/off.

Will test the Humidistat the same way. U will need to know approx what the humidity level is in ur local. With UR test leads on the SW move it to call 4 dehumidification. UR needle should move to infinity. Now turn the SW in the oppisite direction and it should move back to 0. Again the SW is good if this happens.

Ok now the capacitor. Look at it. Does its shape look deformed at all or do U see any oil around/on it?? If the top is bulged out or oil is present the cap is bad.

Power is off!!!!!!!! Take the wires off(make diagram) and use a screw driver to ground 1 terminal of the cap to the metal of the unit. That will discharge the cap. Normally a cap will have 2 terminals on it. If U have an all-in-one cap it will have 3 terminals. 1 will be common, 1 will be fan, the other comp(compressor) If U only have 2 terminals put a test lead on each teminal. The meter needle will rise to infinity and drop back down 2 0. Reverse UR leads and it should do this again. The cap is good if this happens. If U have an All-in-1  cap you'll have 2 do the above test between common and fan, and then common and compressor.

It would really be a good thing if U had an amperage meter so we could check amps. Do the above test on each of UR units and get back to us.:) 

• 2 months later...

sorry [user=8359]ahammer48[/user], didnt check back in a while as I wasnt getting any leads here. The problem with the dehumidifier was relay, changed it and it worked ok.

another unit I have has developed another problem (dont know why they dont put in reliable parts). The PCB which has relay and other devices (transistor, small caps, diodes, resistors) isnt working. I put in the working relay on this one and it didnt click which means something else is bad on that PCB. Thermostat and switch are ok.  Compressor start capacitor is ok too. Do you or anyone have experience repairing/troubleshooting circuits/electrical components ? if not anyone know of any other forum to get help on this ?

Archived