Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological. 
      We have a special session planned for this one. Instead of the usual Show 'n Tell on a technical topic, we're going to post tech sheets in the comments to this Calendar Event (scroll down to see what's posted so far) and ask specific questions that can only be answered by reading the tech sheet. If you at least try to answer the questions beforehand, you'll get a lot more out of it. The tech sheet and the questions are posted in the comments section below.
      Your mission, if you should choose to accept it, is to check out the questions for each one and try to answer them ahead of time. Then come to the Dojo to see how well you did! 
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Samsung rfg238aars/xaa

wandering_burr

wandering_burr

Water dispenser works intermittently. Works for a day or two then stops working for 4-24 hours. Ice makers seem to both work fine. Seven year old fridge and never had a problem until recently. 

I used a infrared thermo to read freezing levels at water tank and raised temp in fridge and freezer but little or no effect. 

I replaced the water tank heater and while doing so was able to read 13v DC at the plug so believe that is working properly. Old heater showed same resistance as new one so doubt it was the issue. 

Today I unhooked the hose from the back and confirmed a strong flow of water at that entry point although I’m not sure how to measure the psi. I removed the internal filter since it was third party but still now water. 

door will dispense ice while it won’t dispense water. 

Water inlet valve is a pricey part to throw at it but is my next diy step. What else should I check?

thank you. 

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wandering_burr

• Vance R

From your post my understanding of problem is no water flow from dispenser. You removed water hose into the water valve and there was good flow.  Next step would be to unmount the water valve and remove tube going to the dispenser.  Put some towels on the floor and set valve outlet in a glass or cup then push the dispenser lever to call for water.  If no water comes out check for 120 vac at valve coil. If no voltage its an electrical problem. If water comes out, reattach tube and move down the water circuit until you find a spot were no water flow.  The spot between last water flow and no water flow will be your problem area.  Let us know results so we can help you more if needed.

wandering_burr

No water at the valve with the line disconnected and no power when the dispenser is pressed. Measured resistance of around 380ohms with all three solenoids. I can hear the inlet valve hum when the water dispenser is pressed but no water. Problem remains intermittent, works about 1/3 of the time. 

• 2 weeks later...
wandering_burr

I pulled the two micro switches and they both gave readings for resistance - although they both jumped around quite a bit so am not sure how they are supposed to look. Since we are in lockdown am trying to avoid a visit from a repairman, should I replace this cheap part, test more or live with it until I can get a pro to take a look? Thanks. 

• 2 weeks later...
wandering_burr

Replaced both micro switches and the ice dispenser flap on the door constantly cycles. I put the old one back in the white wire switch and I’m back to status quo. Still no water. Has progressed to never working these days. I did manage to snap the tabs while replacing the micro switches and am using electrical tape to keep them in position. I have replaced all the parts suggested in the how to fix sites I’ve found. At a dead end. 

• 1 month later...
wandering_burr

Ok, I am back looking for advice on this issue. I'm guessing a repair professional  is going to be pretty unhappy about the homeowner taking things apart and back together possibly making things worse so I'm back looking to pick up my DIY approach. Also, because I see that the Dispenser Assembly is back in stock and available. 

To review:

-Water dispenser starting working only intermittently for several weeks. Then stopped working altogether.

-Assumed frozen water storage so replaced the water tank heater. no change

-Good flow at valve, i went ahead and replaced the valve. do not read any electric change at the valve when the dispenser is pressed for water. Assume issue is electrical.

-All ice functions are working properly.

-in the dispenser assembly there is a white switch and a blue switch. I bought two new switches but if i replace the white one the ice flap just cycles constantly. So i replaced the blue and reinstalled the white. As I described I snapped the tab whilst doing this step but have the switches taped into place. Not sure if this behavior helps diagnose anything.

If the issue is electrical, is replacing the dispenser assembly a solid bet to fix the problem? Is this something I can easily test with my multimeter? If so, which plug/wires would I be testing? 

Perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself, any pointers on what to check next would be appreciated. Unit is seven years old, so seems like it has some years left in it but I'd rather not rack up a big repair bill.

3 hours ago, wandering_burr said:

Good flow at valve,

By this you mean that water is coming to the valve? 

No 120 vac getting the valve usually means a control issue.  You can confirm the valve works by using a test cord. Disconnect the refrigerator wires. Rig up a test cord with a switch and fuse to power the valve. If you have good flow move to electrical troubleshooting.