LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Kenmore coldspot 106.51773510 icing up

Nicky

Evaporator could icing up. Replaced the one larger circuit board with relays but it will still not go into defrost. Have tried to advance defrost also on dispenser area keypad and no go. Did not replace smaller circuit board that looks like power center. Thermostat on evaporator was closed at low temperature. Could it be thermistor or am I missing something Else? Is there a defrost board I am not seeing? Tested heating element at the actual element and not at the board and it read OK. Any help would be appreciated. Can’t find much on this model. Thanks 

• 4 weeks later...

Coil still icing up in  freezer and failing every few weeks After thawing out manually.  Changing primary circuit board didn’t help. Pulled and tested defrost heating element, works fine. Thermistor OK. Only thing not changed besides the smaller circuit board was the defrost thermostat And that seemed to check out and open the close at the right temperatures. Any input would be awesome, I’m usually able to figure things  out and getting really frustrating. Thanks

Yep likely changed wrong board. Part number of board you changed?

The board I replaced that didn’t solve the defrost problem was part number WPW10743957. The other smaller board I did not replace is part number WPW10226427. Let me know what you think. Thanks for the reply. 

36 minutes ago, 16345Ed said:

Part number: WPW10743957

Part number: WPW10743957

defrost components connect to this board

I am at a loss then.  This is the board I replaced already. I appreciate the confirmation. Don’t know what my next step would be.  

If not control has to be thermostat/sensor/heater or wiring. 

Testing heater circuit from board will tell if there is an open in circuit somewhere. 

Do you have a meter?

• Thanks 1

I have a meter.  What sensor are you referring to? I did test defrost thermostat and it was closed and open at correct temps I believe. Seems like some wiring is open. Would I  Check at a harness or after it enters the board?  Thx

• 2 weeks later...

So the refrigerator defrost system all of the sudden works after a couple of frustrating months.  The only thing I did the last time I went into it, was physically remove the heating element and bench test it and then reinstall it. I had un plugged it in the past to check for continuity and re-plugged it in. I also removed the new and reinstalled the old circuit board.  Not sure what fixed it, but will take the victory. 

• 4 months later...
SecretService

Has anyone run into an issue with the RC evaporator frosting up and only RC not cooling?  Three months ago I replaced a control for a customer as a last resort after removing and testing the evap thermistor and thawing the evaporator a few times.  This solved the issue until now, it's frosted up again.  This unit's RC evaporator uses a passive defrost cycle with no heater.  The customer also misplaced the tech sheet so I don't know specifically for this unit what number in svc mode is the defrost settings (if I can change the setting to timed defrost instead of using compressor run time).

• 1 year later...
On 10/21/2020 at 11:07 AM, SecretService said:

Has anyone run into an issue with the RC evaporator frosting up and only RC not cooling?  Three months ago I replaced a control for a customer as a last resort after removing and testing the evap thermistor and thawing the evaporator a few times.  This solved the issue until now, it's frosted up again.  This unit's RC evaporator uses a passive defrost cycle with no heater.  The customer also misplaced the tech sheet so I don't know specifically for this unit what number in svc mode is the defrost settings (if I can change the setting to timed defrost instead of using compressor run time).

Im dealing with a similiar issue. Were you able to fix this?