Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological. 
      We have a special session planned for this one. Instead of the usual Show 'n Tell on a technical topic, we're going to post tech sheets in the comments to this Calendar Event (scroll down to see what's posted so far) and ask specific questions that can only be answered by reading the tech sheet. If you at least try to answer the questions beforehand, you'll get a lot more out of it. The tech sheet and the questions are posted in the comments section below.
      Your mission, if you should choose to accept it, is to check out the questions for each one and try to answer them ahead of time. Then come to the Dojo to see how well you did! 
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

GE WSM2420TAZWW

sdnyer

Greetings,  

I have a GE WSM2420TAZWW Stackable Electric Washer/Dryer that takes 2 cycles of dry time to dry clothes.  I have performed the following checks, but still haven't resolved the issue.  Appreciate your insights!

1. Cleaned the vent and also had the roof outlet vent inspected.  All checks out OK
  2. Replaced the thermal fuse(WE4X857) and cycling thermostat(WE4X856).  Upon inspection of the old parts I think they were actually OK.
  3. Verified continuity across the heater element terminals(will check resistance next time)
  4. Confirmed continuity across the thermostat on the heater element box(I believe this is the hi-lo limit thermostat).  This thermostat has 2 terminal connectors and cuts off at 200 degrees.

After performing the above fixes, when I turn on the dryer, the drum turns and I can see that the heating element turns on as I can see glowing coils from inside the dryer however clothes are not drying in one cycle? 

Is it possible that the heating element is marginal and on its way out?  I wish I took a photo however the glow is very subtle and not very bright?  

I'm assuming that the timer and centrifugal switch is OK since I see the heating element turning on?

I have a heater element on the way as well as a hi-lo thermostat, but wanted to know if I should be checking anything else.   Thanks In advance for your expert opinion.

Run it with vent disconnected at back of dryer. Run a load see how it dries. 

this is a classic complaint of a clogged vent. I know they said it’s good. Do this test to verify. 

• Like 1

Thanks 16345Ed.   I will certainly give your recommendation a try and will keep this thread updated with my findings.   I personally cleaned the vent with a 15ft cleaning brush until I could go no further and it was relatively clean.   I still had my doubts and had the HOA check the roof vent as they recently re-tiled it.  They checked with the dryer running and stated that there was significant air flow.  Hopefully they were above the correct vent :).    

11 hours ago, sdnyer said:

Thanks 16345Ed.   I will certainly give your recommendation a try and will keep this thread updated with my findings.   I personally cleaned the vent with a 15ft cleaning brush until I could go no further and it was relatively clean.   I still had my doubts and had the HOA check the roof vent as they recently re-tiled it.  They checked with the dryer running and stated that there was significant air flow.  Hopefully they were above the correct vent :).    

Roof vents can be problematic...

Thanks for all the help.  Turns out that it was the old heating element that was on its way out.  I guess over time these elements degrade.    I have before/after photos but am unable to insert the image from Google Drive?? Thank you all for your help!!

Perhaps I spoke too soon 😕.   Still getting complaints that more than one cycle is required to dry clothes.

Any idea on the typical cycle time for the heating element to be on an electric dryer.  I understand its controlled by the thermostats and the various temp limits,  but when I run it it appears to turn on for 20 or so seconds and then off.  Sorry didn't time how long it was off for before it turned back on(its at a rental property).    When it turns on, the heating element is a bright orange so I believe its working well.  Here is a summary of all that I have changed/inspected

1. Cleaned the dryer vent.  Had maintenance confirm that air was blowing out of the roof vent when the dryer was on.
  2. Replaced the thermal fuse(WE4X857) and cycling thermostat(WE4X856).  
  3. Replaced the heating element.
  4. Confirmed continuity across the Hi-Lo thermostat.
  5. Confirmed voltage in the outlet 120 on each phase, 240 across.

Appreciate your thoughts on next steps.    Centrifugal switch?  Faulty timer that works intermittently?  I now have a replacement Hi-Lo thermostat, but didn't have it when I replaced the heating element.   This one has been a real head scratcher!

12 hours ago, sdnyer said:

Had maintenance confirm that air was blowing out of the roof vent when the dryer was on.

It about the amount of air not just that there’s some. Unhook vent and test!!!

You have a vent problem I’m 98% sure

12 hours ago, sdnyer said:

but when I run it it appears to turn on for 20 or so seconds and then off.  S

Again exactly what happens with restricted air flow.