LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Amana ART2527AW Refrigerator: Freezer good, refrig marginal

Larbo

Have not accessed the freezer evaporator area yet. I have noticed today that the 5% full freezer temp was varying from -10 to +10. The 70% full fridge is settling down at 39-40. Is the freezer temp variance fed by its lack of TSM (Thermal Stabilizing Matter- food!!  Haha).  Thanks. 

On 5/11/2020 at 11:04 AM, Larbo said:

Trying to get pics to work on this forum .

As I said before...

On 5/10/2020 at 7:26 PM, ECtoFix said:

I use this site to post pictures.  Just copy one of the codes it gives you after your upload:

IBB - Upload images

If posting pictures is important to help resolve your issue, try what I said.  That's all I know to do since I've never gotten that INSERT IMAGE button work for me either. 

Just use the above website, copy the code for the image you uploaded, then post as you would if it were copied text.

1 hour ago, ECtoFix said:

As I said before...

If posting pictures is important to help resolve your issue, try what I said.  That's all I know to do since I've never gotten that INSERT IMAGE button work for me either. 

Just use the above website, copy the code for the image you uploaded, then post as you would if it were copied text.

Sorry @ECtoFix I did not respond earlier. I used Google Pics and since I see the images, they were successfully accepted. I did email someone here about this but nothing yet. I just think that having the images there would help anyone else that stumbles upon this thread in their search for Nirvana in the Whirlpool Family. Since you have come up empty, it sounds like something systemic. That public photo setting you mentioned is in the Account Settings area?  I did use the Inert Other Media button. Maybe I will try that direct copy/paste to the text area idea. Here goes: 

lXRKOVFhQjVxEjJjZFBSOKu0kryEdVRvmvTobrYA7APldEWyeVYV8ZDz6IG5mPrDc4HQWnPujNZAa3XMgpJB_zmhnFGUQ-HffFCGN85ViBo7zaXpw_-SIoIoPYdw4okuCSfbuUhNtG9YhIJksYaOtGRT-sCUK-wMLjhbriVXTUbNAJ0A2rt9OUygu5URdYQSFx75yLAUunxmh1CPyGDgSJJA0i6J2ivzm12m-eRZejGIjfWrO6Kabu-j9RlYRo9sbDE-vDvhDydBfrNCS3CvUJXFPO9rwDqaCYDmaiRGvGm2Oa9akHULCUGddycN5zCRg8aituO9iejzjPLfPcUAxE2fYaZ5vdOZjLP-G8m-d4i2DJTeGKyxj26VvUNdcUMj37-WUUB928_vFRuxGiRbndAw2lRnpneY8_4VFnrj4C51PnVeXUIGe1uVBWPcsePlP_VCFYeGFaw4Yau9BSBYMGhwlsNkAIaPryfSs7Crbqh0I10i338zENudE97wnzWn8s10BauP-V18bD2IOgVwXlDpLL_TLJ7kZyUnKq1JVS2kAaYPU-pJHriOk5Ly72cVwUF31HGrKGr9bVMQiQsO3kFREx5qQFQmi7NCbbh7zbpoCl33bFfk8kQPadmIJGHf02dsqUSLwZa3uTx3eBKq5FIfjQBPGWN4FuDwcWiyT01nwGotpO39QdFQYkQ=w1198-h898-no?authuser=0

M9Psxm577TPgye2Oxj0B-LV9RDwXpg7v1cgKYvV-Wgg5RtZpLA0Ak6rY3x9HD-W_nrRJU8RcpbsGLmzjX6yUhHkxC06NQmmEGV-ZZu1zREb2mB_4tb7acAkeeCtD6j-K4Rdt6DmIOsYum0mJbAfr8WFVvE_6rh1Zbbxdbc-hldeAz6pWv2oqDzG_G6GfpuhxDSq9UPTSyyzpx4c0P3TyTuQsOLtcoRRl0QHioHPCt96VM2ESGi28_Za8n6IgnLGML59CsknlcdMpOE7b2iUfhQJ6ZHP_92LdT_Q971q30Jx1HX6IBULpT1uao5TT2IIo7dJ1lfX3ybB6sajW7gYqN0NQymDenIUSfOFfKNX5xaFSgoAFdzSItffAvqs51jVa75Roqywnx9kt1KPPvyAQYqDF6geVr2e1Ng-g9k--518KzDe-bIMN3DVOXQFsSYnyxGvepzR-e9YkWt1e-QPEe9pwua4VEghWweDpgn3tPNNHsilI3kOIGOwLzAvyemy-5MLY7YrnxeLZaVi6UnWwwf_8f27hoz8HAxuFYPegwvkKoxafKQd1xtosGysvas5ruGF12AdxUie8m9_27rl1v8-rrJMlJs3mVkL7QYWxDJO8APhJuhNJYyAC_5gVpZjI3fTAjHfWiRu4SrupxmwGn-ZnD6wcEfI3dXbjdI-wFjzcq2q1sVUcI3czAYo=w1198-h898-no?authuser=0

fqDfPNTQWpAYWuGM1vAErzNu_O2GbH88MsHXtrDePZTo1DJ3-rxsG0LgwoJvOfVq14ihvOqJeRAjwdlfg8Yztap4CbSZF8q0mjjMyGgl_kNWJLrwClSg3UFMniHSjJFHqoxYPpsh4o3yKbh3mGjjfzHKgdQZmQLZFJ2ULwY9e0BnKgzMogGe9zEY8dUnMXaZzaQtrm-sMzVhpcPDSh8D7FZIWAdBeYlN4yj7kDx1fxc27IJL9Nf39vBVs9FaSXk_dDPXY_ZWH3TMJR9F34BrHcz24SiGq2BqAl9aC-HLEK2BjptHQvdBpTdMqQ_3Fk740Qhn1sRyISHoYWDWezryPOTUPcJsvZIs--4LDVimtxPNuxlr4teUkjEJ9XQNGzi3xaGFFaxahHY2h0RiZwGJ3dle7fW7voYDvjbXLqZNZ4MZgcCtzxmB-vun5-qaQW9rnnNhgBQ_euwPmligyRSDcGhE7nXOhWsRp_RDpYGDSC0EAe4kCvtKKAxHTB7GG8eNhGYO8zQ30usu-j1zPGPzkD8p1ct3mqMaEm9YSRRtr9qdFCbuwoeKuLyJ4AjfU1V47PEi2EYMQ_H9LQ-CIEuQSk0INjarGnU7gZ-7hrR5XRmyL9CDvN1fgNK5MXeuLqADli9EhLKa00_9wa3KoHWanN4yKakRjuA1rXbGJtlEhk7lQsNAU3xnrMFW4sY=w1198-h898-no?authuser=0

Well, it shows upon pasting it. Let's see if it survives the act of posting. Also, anyone know why you cannot edit posts, even right after they are posted??

I was wondering, the freezer is running as cold as -11 (Fridge still 39-40). Is there a point at which the freezer temp will cause the evap to ice up over time?

Thanks again! 

1 hour ago, Larbo said:

Let's see if it survives the act of posting.

Your photos were there, but then disappeared when I refreshed an hour later. 

FWIW: I just went back to some photos I posted here two weeks ago using that IBB site and they're all still there.  I STILL suggest trying https://imgbb.com/.  Something about the host you're using seems to be mucked up.

Additional FWIW: I don't work on household refrigeration, so I haven't read through your detailed posts about it.  I'm merely trying to help you with a more dependable means for communicating the problem to others who know better. 

Nonetheless, although I'm busy watching movies right now after entering my eighth week if isolation (especially from work), I might still go through all your details and maybe conjure up some plausible cause & solution. 

But PLEASE!  Anyone else?

@ECtoFixI mentioned earlier that I had contacted support about the image upload issues and I was told the DIY'ers (have I been profiled? :)  ) cannot upload files to the site. I am sure that that is a security measure but it seems to create considerable limiting on the process. Oh well.  Thanks for all this input!!

@ECtoFix your test picture is showing up fine.

@Larbo Using Google Photos - I'm not exactly sure how it all works but there is a setting or option to make a picture PUBLIC or share it - you need to figure out how to do that or find a different picture host site like @ECtoFix recommended.

@Larbo all three of those methods worked.  The first two are links to your pictures and if someone clicks them they can go to the picture hosting site and see your picture.

Obviously whatever you did for the third one is the best, as it makes your picture appear directly in your post, (however you did that is great, as I didn't think "Grasshopper" status members could directly attach pictures in their post and had to only post links like your first two).

Did you ever get the evaporator panel in the freezer off to see the frost pattern on the evaporator?  Attach a picture if you have.

Edited by Budget Appliance Repair

@Budget Appliance Repair Thank you Willie!  I will post the other two pics just so the thread is complete. I have not pulled the freezer back off yet as the fridge temps have stabilized at 39-40 and I understand that those are typical temps. Granted, the fridge t-stat is at max (which I assume basically means that air damper is fully open all the time now) and the freezer is -10 to 0.  If the defrost was not working right, would that have become evident already?  

Here are the pics:

Control-panel-4.jpg

Control-panel-2.jpg

Yes, if it were a defrost problem you most likely wouldn't be getting that close to normal temps by this time.

That is why I wanted you to get a look at the evaporator coil frost pattern - to see if you might be at the start of a sealed system problem, (Low on Freon/R134a coolant), causing inefficient cooling.

• 2 weeks later...

If your fridge is not cold but the freezer is ok you are encountering a pretty common issue for a household fridge. Most of the time this might be caused due to a faulty evaporator fan, frosted evaporator coils or a faulty damper control. It should be a pretty easy professional fix.

Condenser Coils: The condenser coils are located under the fridge and can easily get dirty. These coils help dissipate heat as refrigerant moves through them. If the coils get dirty they don't work as well and need to be cleaned. 
Evaporator Fan Motor: Some refrigerators have two evaporator fan motors one for the freezer and one for the fridge. The evaporator fan motor helps draw air over the evaporator coils (cooling the air) it circulates it through the fridge. You can try turning the fan blade by hand and if it does not spin you need to replace the motor. The motor may also be a cause of noise. The motor may also be checked with a multimeter to determine if it has continuity.
Thermostat: The temperature control thermostat directs a lot of voltage to the compressors and motors of a fridge. You can try rotating the thermostat from low to high and listen for a clicking sound. If it clicks it is probably OK. A multimeter can also be used to determine if the thermostat has continuity at every setting.
Temperature Control Board: Be careful as this is a commonly misdiagnosed part. It is very important to check all the other possible components first.

I got this from https://www.electrafixbc.ca/appliances/fridge.html 

Check it out for more info on your fridge issue.