Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Fedder dehumidifier model fad25

clightle

Recieved an older (10+Yrs???) dehumidifier from a tennant that said it quit working.  I opened the case and found that the humidistat was broke (plastic strip broke and not making contacts) and that the small thermal overload device on the compressor wasn't starting the unit.  I ordered both os these devices and installed them.

After installing the replacement pieces the fan starts and then the compressor makes a 'click' like it is going to run, but it doesn't run.  This repeats every few seconds.  I doen't know what to do next.  It isn't the bucket full switch because when it is full the fan won't run.  This is a very basic older unit with no computers.

Any help with troubleshooting this unit would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try replacing the compressor relay. If that don't fix it, you need a new compressor. The costs of the compressor repair would far exceed the price of a new unit.

Nick

They don't have a compressor relay listed for this particular model on the parts website.  Is this the little transformer looking thing mounted on the side of the compressor?  If it is the parts site seems to only sell it with the compressor kit.

Thanks for your help.

Guest ahammer48

Hello

Yep. The transformer thingy is the start relay 4 the comp, and because the comps are so small they sell them together as 1 piece. As Nick said this may not be worth the repair cost.

Check out my last post to apphlp about his dehumidifier. I explain how to test the capacitors out, but is sure shoulds like UR compresasor is shot:(

Hope this helps:)

You mentioned in the posting to the other dehumidifier problem that Amp flow could be checked on the capacitor if I/we had an ampmeter.  I have a meter that is rated for 10 or 20 amps???  I should be able to check the capacitor with this meter.  (Even if I have to replace a fuse or so in the meter)  How do I perform this check?  Plug it in (I have an extension cord that I can hook up the ammeter) to see the load of the total unit? or do I just load the capacitor?

Thanks

Guest ahammer48

Hello

Boyyyyy, that must B an oldie but a goodie of a meter:). U might want to be careful with that thing. I'd B curious to hear  how U hook it up to read amperage? Most of todays meters can read up to 600 amps, some 1000. If u exceed the rating of the meter, it could go on melt down, so BBBB careful.

No, U can't check amps on a capacitor. U can only check amps on a load. eg: a fan motor,compressor. Something that uses electrical energy.

I think the meter U have would be usefull in checking ur unit. Check the FLA-full load amps-- rating of each device on the name plate of the unit. When running U should read close to FLA of the fan and commpressor.

Were U able to do any of the continuity checks yet? Let me know how U make out:)

How I have measured amp reading before on an appliance is to plug it into an extension cord that I have modified previously.  I basically cut one of the (2)wires and hook my amp meter up to it in series.  The meter I have is rated for 10 amps at 250v max.  It is a Cat III true RMS multi-meter (Extech 22-816) that I bought online for $30 ($40 including shipping.)  I don't have a clamp-on ammeter.

I did all of the continuity checks before coming to this board.  Everything checked out after I installed the new humidistat and capacitor.

Guest ahammer48

Hello

Sorry, 30+ yrs & I've always had a clamp on. Forgot U could measure AC/DC that way. Thought it was only DC.

Since U've done alot of checking already then yeah I think the 2 last things to check R that U have the 115VAC?? on the 2 wires feeding out to the compressor(I'm assuming its 115VAC unit and there R only 2 wires feeding out 2 it, before the start relay) and the amp draw of the compressor it's self.

U might want 2 take the start relay out( make a drawing of the wiring) and take it to a refrigeration supply house 2 C if they can match U up with 1 if the amperage test comes out way high, before changing out the compressor.

Hope this helps:)

Archived