Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Four year old GDT545PGJ0WW dishwasher has me stumped.

AkshaySharma

AkshaySharma

You all will be so proud of me.

I grew up watching my dad fix everything. Vespa, a blender, electric motor of a fan....and today I fixed the motor of a circulation pump in my dishwasher.
After getting some pointers from the members on this forum, I was this close to ordering a new circulation pump for the dishwasher. The shipping and the delays would mean that I would get it on Tuesday. I still plan to order it and then keep it ready when the current one fails. BUT in the mean time, the cleaned and adjusted pump is purring nicely. I removed about a teaspoon of black powder, blew air in all creases and crevasses. Wiped the commutator clean, it looked pretty spotless and also tapped the carbon brushes closer to to the commutator, not sure if it did anything or not.

Long story short, the dishwasher is working. Few more cycles of testing and then I will put the insulation on it and then install it back in it's rightful place.
Thanks a lot for all your help.

PhCsY7H9VRf0GIbOPLsOIm1545xLr3bGOpulxRKbzwvpyJKUDWichiRb0AqNqm-8RrjCwA3eZG_b823JxlROWZWWSXnVQR-yCD6OefmDzmpRMZlTFdC7lH1aTJdBO-zHbOTL73umn3owuu_t5Ak532Gu89BOfFcwqmtW4c1NrJYo2JsBwXtmz1zx_-pY5KV5tT9IF-nT46eIzU70iquZAfDbI6dJtB20bgtqRNNLagMfjgFYdXV7eEz54W26ClMgzo5tfV_ZuY06J0AzjC0Bmt6NO7cIUYPQJh-7nCcz2JdLDyj8QJUYVw_9pIbrJ9eqhURtnrB7xoFdT7Yt3PtglAR9Lm_LHlbC_Wcg8obPbkOW679EVwkLzfwq8Jy8ZK1dasGO5fWSei5n5Blqn5Lw6piVb2Uy1-eaRAbp1iEAB7ZEtMdnizjSaYaQd62QzJLH_dApd5FNZb9VAAK--5TN27grxpukbhN9PcWMOhbTX0zwF0BUUwxDH9htcYqE16k1CXr2oJTJp0z1usPwW1Fx-3eKpMDxl0cSBPCOUmn8eqd6jlRRJpuv4QkfAYvgWFco3E928IC90oFKExUNNRcWP4wbFeWTc5qyioZwCQComCKU05H1oJz8r9cE_VXjE3UAAf0Q4LulF6Le1M4qOlLFMjkrad5B9zSWtrDb0ed6hBr5_Wz-J2rsx8yibayePg=w978-h1302-no?authuser=0SjVpsghrpAs69_C40Af17tmCuSz-GVWYdoR2I3nyi-bkbfhFkSj0CBW5rhFDPBCQXBSCcJZmAZp9y4fFyIGlVsRhWjljKykCDJgREXDYUUu_Ck03o2ih1auzyRikgM-ebn8V6HRbAo2eD8pevZKG1zX4664ARFX5gV5A9W1nk_F99wkV0m8fWj4RdBeONpRHV5h0TT3dXNru4Yk0BhCdLvbSIgjTATdRyfBMGZ67GKSt_TL2fyPuN7__SAaNQCd2wUUJkEPqOgkAzEV97IvRGDVBnQE0uLBX4Fs66XPzfMA2u_4l-s7fEWCC1dqH-qhS282yHCM3hIIvF4O3bwhbwSz-i8Uz_9trgUDJ06n37y7P2xpTnwVwaJQgxTgK-GbNV9QSxfvgMIhtQRpvRTn5eu3iA8Y3gmPzpsLXfiv6LOgsENShXL4geyPLbdM-tpFWCr6Y6I5BsCYs-HEuuTfLD96DrHeUo07GmKc4s9epVyhLTwt5GZA9JcgsO-V-iNl9Edc9F6L4IdQO-Uai6t2KgwQk-5yKkUsirYw-JjZQPeVueigthF2PfkyzGq4bMwtllm6n0iHlDfhFEUAKm5ZRd45JebMj5IM2oqn8lsgE-bB6Y7qyxnieCHJ5GVoe0OypHino_kZ8FvFzSHTNHAwi2IIA44jlyqz9E86KPXdEMZdv9OpL7hOiHwZssoHT3Q=w978-h1302-no?authuser=0YrlQo1q4s3YKcMcc1DR9dFQh8bB7UjyX5Kpo_ynkAOHrbv2j3xc9aGFDNTWdn68zVpdEufOVzzCGWrKP4KhkPHqJmvS8x-3dw0xfJoMq0EQkSi9TlSid9WgiIPvZ4Fl6nrvnHENqPTmVHgkX-kpKNIK3M5YpljuE6gug666WPoOSqnPf9VJmftcodq97n2R09a3nRFHB_GrLaqOn3xnKpFzoKTx43BgDNEcqUv-OPHmTR_lZvaEjPQazC2njkhyPjWv_n_VQhnBhFRKZm5K9VYXdD_cQM0qOI0jZCH24-yPlYztJw0r55CLnN46CzufoAEfLnKZHHPdCKaHqP_wL0b7hI-IALIFZvzcJLJcv1rakKtWpDkgbl0jbmAIaqVeiOqowiwYtRWNboDyAY6Xtx9_uG1LKOSn0GxN3gB2s2Qv2FeArdfUKi7hrsK-XN-zsbS8uqcO8K9klOsjFotIYF7wke-kCEyl75WVy8L9SPwwym44qdP3yYb2cyRUWoNKlsOOnEh9mTK7FAXqQ4SzjELsJKUwgpyimIbiIOVt28rKaeNu9YmoVRQ6nisKCRpa3cf48teVeX4dAzyFg-IOSPbudiEX75SqSEezLJGhdaU5G0Xocqk2FAJ5xFtF12d4Uf-IJE-6Cdr7cnCkFJmf1-JfK9gmqlObd37qd-CCVAocOnOG8SBeo0O_74Xth_g=w1736-h1302-no?authuser=0

On 5/21/2020 at 7:26 AM, David Jero said:

Love this quote.

Sometimes you just have to call them as you see them. 8-)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AkshaySharma said:

I removed about a teaspoon of black powder, blew air in all creases and crevasses. Wiped the commutator clean, it looked pretty spotless and also tapped the carbon brushes closer to to the commutator, not sure if it did anything or not.

Long story short, the dishwasher is working. Few more cycles of testing and then I will put the insulation on it and then install it back in it's rightful place.
Thanks a lot for all your help.

I am sure you have saved it's life for a bit longer.  It is hard to believe that the manufacture choose to use a motor with brushes for a model that will potentially run for up to 3 hours once a day for 10-15 years. This reminds me of my grandpa's old drill or my dads old grinder. Brushes were common in the 50's-70's. I though we evolved from some old technology.  

Glad to hear and was happy to give you advice. Appliontology is a great resource full of some really great techs to give you a hand along the way. 

• Thanks 1

AkshaySharma

We ran our first full load last night and the dishes came out spotless this morning.

Now I will reinstall it back with the sound insulation blanket and all the other bells and whistles.

AkshaySharma

Now I am just thinking aloud here. It would be great to find the exact specs of the old tech motor and replace it with a new, brushless motor.

On 5/23/2020 at 10:36 AM, AkshaySharma said:

Now I am just thinking aloud here. It would be great to find the exact specs of the old tech motor and replace it with a new, brushless motor.

NO, I think the new motor still has brushes. :( 

On 5/23/2020 at 10:36 AM, AkshaySharma said:

Honestly, I'd give up and just deal with it as-engineered.

A lot of how it works depends on things like motor power, gph, pressure, etc.

If you put in a more powerful motor, you'll probably find that the diverter doesn't work right, the wash arm is too fast and it leaks out the door.

On 5/25/2020 at 12:45 PM, Terry Carmen said:

If you put in a more powerful motor, you'll probably find that the diverter doesn't work right, the wash arm is too fast and it leaks out the door.

Funny thing is that the new replacement motor does have a slightly larger impeller.  However maybe the motor is running at a slower speed now.. I don't know.