Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological. 
      We have a special session planned for this one. Instead of the usual Show 'n Tell on a technical topic, we're going to post tech sheets in the comments to this Calendar Event (scroll down to see what's posted so far) and ask specific questions that can only be answered by reading the tech sheet. If you at least try to answer the questions beforehand, you'll get a lot more out of it. The tech sheet and the questions are posted in the comments section below.
      Your mission, if you should choose to accept it, is to check out the questions for each one and try to answer them ahead of time. Then come to the Dojo to see how well you did! 
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Maytag fridge door leaking "syrupy" liquid. So weird!

RichardA

Hello everyone,

Not sure what specific model this Maytag refrigerator I have, but here is the link to the photo of the fridge, and two photos (with flash and without) of the problem: https://photos.app.goo.gl/LUhLMDGFRGYuAp7q6

The unit is likely from 2005 which was when my condo was originally built. I moved in in 2008.

Very occasionally, I notice a golden brown "syrupy" liquid collecting under the front right leg of the fridge, and only at this spot (nowhere else). It's definitely not coming from the main fridge itself (no leaky foods, not originating from the drip pan, etc.). Instead, I'm 99.9% certain it's coming from the bottom right edge of the door. I know this because I've opened the door and seen the drips on the floor follow the arc of the door when I swing it open. Poking my fingers underneath the door edge, it's likely from a dime-sized hole in the bottom right of the doorframe edge. It's as if the "syrup" is leaking out of that hole, and that the door has a hollowed-out chamber in it that is the source of this "syrup". In the photos, you can see the dime-sized hole at the top-center of the images.

The "syrup" is smooth in consistency, very easy to clean up with Lysol spray and paper towel, and is odorless. It doesn't have an oily or sticky feeling/residue to it. It's almost like diluted maple syrup.

Any idea why it only leaks very occasionally? Any idea what this "syrup" could be and why it's inside the door? I'm completely mystified, and my Google research efforts have hit a dead end, likely because I don't know what keywords to look for.

Thank you!

I can't seem to edit my first post but I found the model number. Maytag Appliances model number MTB1891ARW.

I think I may have identified the source of the "syrup".

See video:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/s18Tz9VjeikyQiNM9

It originates along part of the length of the rubber gasket/seal (I think that's what it's called...?) on the bottom edge of the fridge door. Not sure why it's leaking brown watery liquid. Would love to solve this mystery as inexpensively as possible. If it can't be resolved easily, will replacing the gasket/seal fix this? Or possibly replacing the door? Ideally I would like to avoid buying a new fridge, since the rest of the unit itself still works well.

Is there water under the two crisper drawers ?  If so your defrost drain could be stopped up

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...