Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological. 
      We have a special session planned for this one. Instead of the usual Show 'n Tell on a technical topic, we're going to post tech sheets in the comments to this Calendar Event (scroll down to see what's posted so far) and ask specific questions that can only be answered by reading the tech sheet. If you at least try to answer the questions beforehand, you'll get a lot more out of it. 
      I'll be posting a couple more tech sheets before Saturday so be sure to follow this event to keep up with the tech sheets we'll be going through. 
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Kenmore front load washer 417.42142100 won’t do final spin.

kylemeadows

kylemeadows

Hi all,  

My nearly 18-year-old Kenmore model 417.42142100 front load washing machine has ceased to initiate its final spin,  even though the lights on the dashboard indicate otherwise, leaving the clothes sopping wet. Possibly a red herring… But it was working fine prior to a lightning strike about 50 feet from the house, in which strips of bark were peeled off a massive catalpa tree.  The tree is still standing and the washing machine still runs. It will still fill with water, dispense detergent, tumble the clothes back and forth, and drain the water. Apparently the only thing it won’t do is the high speed final spin, on either normal or fast setting. I have taken the motor control board out,  and see no evidence of burning or damage.  The one and only fuse on the control board still has continuity. 

Can anyone help me out? I look forward to your replies. Many thanks. 

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kylemeadows

• sdnyer

• 2 months later...

I have the same washer and have a different set of problems.   On the spec sheet(bottom panel manila colored folder on the left) there are instructions to check the motor control board resistance across various terminals.   I recommend first performing those tests prior and proving that the control board is OK.  I have the tech sheet out at the moment as I am troubleshooting an issue where the first rinse spin cycle does not stop and the last spin cycle is not engaging.   Manually moving the timer gets it past to the next step.

Thanks very much for the information, but I gave up and purchased a new machine several months ago. I figured I’d gotten my money’s worth out of the old one, and didn’t want to sink any more money into it.

I do appreciate the time and effort you put into your reply. Good luck with yours!