Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

• Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Directory of Appliantology members?

steveklein

As a non-pro, I'd love to be able to call on an Appliantology member to fix my appliances when a job is beyond my skills.  I figure anyone I find through this website is going to be knowledgable and experienced.

Even pros might want a way to look up pros in other cities, when some geographically-distant friend or relative needs help.

We need a public directory of members.

Directory listings should be limited to paid-up members, and should be accessible to non-members looking to hire a pro.

Does this already exist? If not, please consider creating such a directory.

If tech assistance is needed, I volunteer my services; I'm an IT pro by trade.

• Team Samurai

Very interesting idea! What do the Brethren think of us setting up a directory like steveklein is describing?

Sounds like a somewhat good idea, (I personally wouldn't be interested in being in a directory), this maybe the only problem.

Lots of the more senior members maybe already as busy as they want to be and not really need/want anymore work.

The ones just starting their businesses and don't have the top skills yet would most likely to be found in the directory trying to get more work.

I can see the pro's and con's of the list.  The pro , would be to help grow your network of professional friends .   I have friends in all  trades I call on whenever i have brain fart or just to b.s. 'we pass on info as to what  branch is having a  training class or, great deal's and ,vise-versa.  We also warn each other about problem client's to watch out for. However, the down side would be to disrespecting them by calling them every time you run across a problem.  This is a great form to request help where someone can respond to a situation in their own time. Right now i am on the fence about this.

I like the idea. Especially coming from someone who drinks Watney’s Red Barrel...😉

15 hours ago, Budget Appliance Repair said:

Lots of the more senior members maybe already as busy as they want to be and not really need/want anymore work.

The ones just starting their businesses and don't have the top skills yet would most likely to be found in the directory trying to get more work.

I'm trying to solve two problems.

1. An appliance repair pro in Boston gets a call from his parents in Miami. Their oven needs fixing, and they ask him to recommend someone. How could he do it?
  2. I'm not an appliance repair pro. Right now, I don't have any local pro I can call when I need help. How do I find one?

What if the directory was only open to members? That could help in example #1.  Even if you don't need new customers, wouldn't it be nice to help out a fellow appliance repair tech? Imagine Son of Samurai called you: "Hi, Budget Appliance Repair. My cousin lives near you and needs his washing machine fixed."  Would you tell him, "Sorry, Son, I'm busy"?

I'm in Detroit, and I've used a similar website for computer repair techs to find a guy to fix my Mom's Mac in Palm Dessert, over 2,000 miles away. And a few times over the years I got calls from computer techs in distance cities needing to find a guy in Detroit to help out their friend or relative. I love those service calls, because I'm already trusted when I walk in the door. And I get the satisfaction of knowing I did a favor for another tech and got paid to do it!

By the way, problem #2 above is not hypothetical. It describes my current situation.  G-d forbid one of my appliances dies tomorrow; I don't know who to call.

I'm not wedded to the idea of a directory, but I do need a solution to problem 2, and I bet more than a pros like yourself need a solution to problem 1. @Budget Appliance Repair, do you have any suggestions for solving these problems?

@steveklein  All good points, I don't know how to solve them except that you are a member and you can ask for anyone here in your Detroit area that maybe near you and able to help.

Probable a members only directory would be the only somewhat practical solution.

• 1 year later...

On this topic, anybody in Tallahassee that is willing to diagnose and treat a Maytag washer that doesn't drain?  I looked pretty hard and couldn't find a Model Number, but I have never messed with a Maytag before.  I'm in NC and trying to get something taken care of at my brother's house, down there.  Please reach out to: menippe at sign gee mail dot com.  Thanks!

On 6/2/2020 at 3:19 PM, Son of Samurai said:

Very interesting idea! What do the Brethren think of us setting up a directory like steveklein is describing?

Sounds like a good idea. Maybe you could add a "Include in directory" checkbox in the user profiles so people could turn themselves on and off.

Not sure how it would work with actual names/business names. I seem to be in the minority in having my actual name out here in public.

You could also add a field to the DB for "Accepts 3rd party work" and sell access to the warranty/service companies. I must get 4 calls a day for some service contact company who wants me to fix their Moss-Covered Three-Handled Family Gradunza. I always say no, but the guys just starting out might like the extra work.

Edited by Terry Carmen

On 6/2/2020 at 3:19 PM, Son of Samurai said:

I think its a great idea . I just think it needs to more than just a directory type thing. This could be so much greater than just a directory. Especially with the DIY'ers who ask stuff on this site.   Tipping the techs who would love to help a brother technician is a great idea.. "especially" for the newbee students and Professional appliantology members who are registered and currently up to date in their membership through appliantology. When I was new . Man ! was I nervous and scared going out there to fix stuff when I started.  I first started 11 years ago and I'm still learning, I used a site called " Just Answer" when ever I needed help on a job. I would go on the Just Answer site and post my question to my favorite tech which took a short while to know and have this certain tech over others on my favorites list.  the repairs I had completed through his help were all posative repairs in the end and he always answered and got back to my question with in minutes !! so I knew the tech I wanted. Without this help when I first started 11 years ago , I wouldnt be where I am today  .   We as current professional Appliantology members have this site and can post questions to other professional applianologists which is fantastic!! and Awesome !! and priceless !! .  Some of the more qualified guys dont need help right away and can wait on a particular question asked but I think there are some of us, which includes myself can still need imedite assitance if it was available I believe. .  Don't get me wrong , i'm not as qualified as a lot of techs on this site and that is why I'm a member myself and still learning.  Part of the problem is that most of the qualified guys who can help you when your asking a Professional tech to tech question here can't always get to your question right away because they are busy them selves I'm sure with their own appliance issues and repair work or whatever is making them busy at the time.  which I totally get and understand.  "IMMEDIATE"  help within 15 - 20 minutes on demand for a question asked is really the hurdle here in my opinion. I'm also sure there are some great guys here that worked hard at getting the knowledge they have and arent quite sure that they are ready to just give what they learned so easily away. I totally get that too. Thats a hard thing to ask of  brother members when their swamped and busy themselves  for the day. If theres a part of the site where qualified members who are able to help are posted as available to help for questions would be priceless. As long as they were able to repond to your question with in minutes is the problem.  The just answer site I spoke of when I first started had cost me $15 dollars a month for unlimited questions. If you wanted to talk to a qualified tech . the cost to call them was $25 dollars if you wanted to speak to them Via cell phone.  I never really needed that perk unless I was in a tight spot on a repair. I used it once.  I dont really use the site as much anymore since in time the favorite tech that I had always used from the  just answer site had left the site. The site allows you to tip the technician also after he helped you and I always left him a tip when he helped me. It was a priceless site and helped me tremendousely when I first started. I couldnt of done it with out that type of help at the time.  The site always showed the available techs on line ready to help when a question was posted.  I wish there was something like that here man. I still use The Just answer site today but they dont get back to me within minutes any more and it has taken several days sometimes to any ones help. I think the real qualified guys weren't being compensated enough so they left the site or dont monitor the questions like they used too.  I'm all for this if all the quirks could be worked out. I'm willing to tip on demand and pay the extra costs also for this type of benefit on this site.  Please do this !  I know I would use it often.  I think this would be a great perk too for qualified professional appliantologist's who had the time and wanted to help other members.  Sorry for the long winded remark but this question was Great and I hope something can come out of it.

Edited by darren412

I have been mulling over this for some time.  The way this site is set up it work's very well.  You make a post and ,get a reply and some guidance. If there were a directory I believe it should  be 1. Private to member's only 2. A option to opt out.  I do not mind giving my thought's on a repair to another TECHNICIAN!!!! My reasoning behind this would be to eliminate DIY'ers from information shopping. Comparing what a servicer's is telling them what is wrong with their appliance. And, possible liability.  How many times have you quoted a job only to find out later or get told "That is something I could do myself" . I do not like paying for a repair that I could do myself and, do not blame other's for wanting also.    I chose to go to a TECH school  and, I chose to take  the MST course. It was a investment in  time and money in myself. A untrained person going on what someone tell's them can get injured or killed following someone's guidance. There is a warning label on everything we buy today but, what warning label is one advise?? Today's legal system will sue you for anything. 

On 8/16/2021 at 10:10 AM, WOOKIE said:

Today's legal system will sue you for anything.

very true but there obviously must be  a way around that . Look up the Justanswer.com site I mentioned. Its pretty cool if you get a qualified person answering your question. Obviously they are not worried about anyone suing them. So they figured that out.  check the site out if you are nt aware of it already. You can get help from just about every subject you can think of almost. Lawyers, car mechanics ,  appliance techs, carpenters, Plumbers, HVAC techs, ETC, ETC, ETC.   It costs me $15 a month with unlimited questions to any of the services they provide in their system. I must of asked thousands of appliance questions wookie over a 9 year span of being a member. I cant remember or tell you how many FCC's I had using the site. It was incredible. I left GE because they sucked. I wanted to fix things and be happy. When I was there they didnt give a shit about fixing the stuff under warranty. They just trained you to order a part whether its the right part or not and then get out of there.  I wasnt happy with them 11 years ago so I left and dove right in and started my own Appliance repair company. I found just answer shortly after I left and was on my own. It was like it was meant to be. If you find one person who answers your question . You eventually figure out how knowledgable they are and when you find the qualified person your happy with and if his answers get you through your repairs, you file that person in your favorite tech list. The Appliance tech that I had eventually figured out was good and qualified. Was in my favorites list. I tipped him 3-4 dollars when asking a question every time. when it was a higher end appliance and a good paying job, I tipped him a little more . He also got back to me within minutes and I would just go to the truck and wait on his thoughts with my appliance issue.  Rarely and I mean rarely was there moments that he didnt get right back to me. It all gets charged to the customer and the site and monies spent are a tax right off . Just like being and using Appliantology ,org  you can right off the expenses because its a professionally used service for your business. I can tell you this though lately now since my favorite tech had left Just Answer and went on his own its been difficult to find a favorite tech again that I am comfortable with using.  

Edited by darren412
  • Like 1

On 6/2/2020 at 9:38 AM, steveklein said:

Does this already exist?

Not sure if you know about this site Legacy Tech but Google Justanswer.com  check them out if you dont already know of it.  If You find a tech that you feel knows what he is talking about and you get comfortable with his answers and fixes for your repairs. put him in your favorites and try him out. If he gets back to you more than often in the first few minutes then you mayhave found the help you were looking for. I pay $15 dollars a month for unlimited question for any appliance tech on line and available who I know I can trust to answer my appliance question .  Try it out you will see what I mean. This site might be exactly what you were looking for.   or maybe not ! 🙂