Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

LG WM4270HWA motor locked all parts changed still locked

rtw1961

i have spent over 10 hours in testing and replacing all the components (hall effect rotor position sensor, (o.e. part) the sub harness to the hall effect sensor and stator, stator ohms on all 3 legs at 12.5 ohms (5-15 ohms is specific value) the main harness from the computer to the motor (all 3 wires) continuity check. the motor when self tested just jiggles back and forth will not spin or agitate. I get rpm change on the spin by hand test, magnets are all in position and no cracking so its seeing the trigger signal to flip the polarity for clockwise and counter clockwise spin motion. it goes one wat 2 inches and trys to turn over, the drum is free turning as soon as i break power to the coil so nothing is jammed. no grinding (rotor hub good) no scraping, no water stains on bearing, spider coupler is good no noise or play in the main bearings. so then i replace everything in the control circuits (pcm Main, the inline filter, the door switch, the rest works (drain and fill) and all the opertaions are book. HELP PLEASE

Were all of those parts replaced new?

For the symptom described...usually a failed Motor Wire Harness...Hall Sensor...or Main Board.

Edited by john63

I had ordered 4 different / but same 2002a Hall effect rotor ps. 2 Amazon different vendors, neither worked out of the pack and the nylon was sub par crap so I backed it up with an o.e. sensor and sub harnesses after I saw the video from Zach. Then same same motor wiggles / osilates about 1 in either direction. Then locks as soon as I kill the power it spins free no noise. So I ohm checked each wire top to bottom all had continuity. Did both checks (Vdc and Vac, line and board. Via lg service manual and trouble shooter. Coil/stator omhs 12.5 ohms all 3 legs, lg hall is good and tests and passes all up and down and variating pulse to motor. Going deeper I changed the line filter an LG oe.. and the main control module with new oe, numbers matching, date built 2 11 2019 so the latest version. Door lock switch was lg oe new too. Rotor and magnets and hub brgs all cherry. Help

And reset after reset no codes present go to second press and no spin. I even just turned it on and set to spin, tested every step up from no spin to Max spin nothing. Turn on wash no agitation. Pumps drains door lock and power all working the motor will chuggle so I know it's sending the command to the stator what is the air gap bet feild magnets could I have a partial de-magnazation situation? Or wtf

signed frustrated. Rtw

1. Power on rotor turns freely.

2. Start spin and drain cycles both pumps drain and spray are inputting and spraying or draining per spec. Hertz on the foam switch/ pressure sensor are

24 .5 hz and see 213 up to 255 on all passes in code mode. Book. Motor chuggles when you would anticipate it to start to turn, chuggles and locks after 3-5 times will throw the death of the tech code Le again. And like it says on the bottle wash rinse and repeat. Ha. It's like ground hog day.

Verify that the Motor Wire Harness is *correct*

I had a washer/dryer combo...that was doing the same symptom your washer exhibits.

Turns out that the Motor Wire Harness for some combo models are not interchangeable with washer-only models. The wiring is routed differently.

Otherwise...

Stator...fails under load but OHMs okay.

so could the coils be "breaking down" in the stator.? when the field is energized? or the magnets on the rotor "demagnetized? or weak? how can you tell what the coils can take and not break down? the stator ohms at 12.5 ohms on all three legs. to me in electronics if a spec is lest say 5-15 ohms and they ohm on the high side of the spec its degraded...maybe the degradation is causing the motor to not full field, causing the rotor to shake and not fully rotate to get the startup. like a mag switch on a bad compressor motor that wont fire. I get the stator and rotor concept and direct drive thing. its 6 yrs old would LG cover the motor and so forth...just relying on your in field experience or am I chasing a dead pony with LG?  im in it 300.00 so far and with the pair I'm sure I could have bought a new one. so now i will keep it forever since i have so many "extra" parts now.    thanks for any input John. 

LG *did* publish a Service Bulletin regarding a manufacturing defect with the Stator (poor quality solder at plug connection)

But that pre-dates your model.

Same symptoms though...

i checked the mini harness and its an lg part and identical wire pin outs and they are correct. I'm wondering if it has a bad coils not fielding fully to start the motor. i wonder if i bitch lg would send the parts its warrantied for 10 yrs I think. I'm getting a meter with low z and will check the rest of it with it. if you every need car or truck transmission john, do not hesitate to contact me directly. i appricate your attention im still buryed in it

Might also want to pick up an outlet tester at lowes item #464309...for 6.49

Plug in and verify nothing amiss with power supply.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi I have the same issue with the same model #.  I figured harness to motor and hall sensor. I could not find either on exploded views. Where did you look up parts and please let us know the outcome.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

My symptom was would not run with load - ok when empty.  Replaced motor harness and rps and so far so good...