Dumbstruck by the new computer-controlled appliances? Let the Samurai enlighten you…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
margaret

loud noise during spin cycle

9 posts in this topic

My GE profile washing machine makes a very loud sound when spinning.  I have replaced the 4 dampening straps as 2 were broken.  any other ideas as to what area I should check?  thanks.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

What kind of noise? Thumping, screeching, screaming like a detoxified Samurai? ;)

Things to check:

Open the front, any signs of oil and/or water leakage inside?

Does the basket spin freely while agitating (it will move slightly, this is normal - I'm talking about more movement)?

This reply undergoing renovations.  When this header is gone renovations will be complete

The force is telling me your washer is toast.  You may continue to use it for a short period while you shop for a new washer.  It will only get worse and eventually leak or even flood.

We must now confirm what the force is saying.

Remove the front panel.  Look on the inside of the panel near the floor.  does it look like this?

1496676thepattern.jpg

Start a wash, with the panel removed,  Lay on the floor and look at the center of the bottom of the tub.  Do you see water or signs of it? 

1496708watersealleak.jpg

If so you will need these.

WH38X10002 Transmission

WH2X1198 Hub Bearing (oil impregnated bronze sleeve bearing)

WH2X1193 Hub Nut

WH43X10009 Air Bell Coupling (use only if old one is stuck)

WH02X10037 Screw

This is the basket with the agitator removed.  You can see the airbell coupling.  Notice the rusty 7/16 bolt

149874206rustynut.jpg

I use a claw hammer to remove the air bell coupling.  If it's stuck I break it in half.

149874307removewithclawhammer.jpg

This is my assortment of spanner wrenches.  The one in the middle is almost univeresal.  The GE wrench on the bottom has seen lots of force

1498943MySpannerWrenches.jpg

149874411specialspanner.jpg

149874512openedup.jpg

This is taken with the basket removed.  You can get rid of the remaining water now or off the floor later.

149874715suckoutthewater.jpg

Notice the sticker on the front of the tub.  Notice the motor goes in the front.  It is possible to put this back together backwards.

149875018.jpg

149875119.jpg

149875321.jpg

Another Special tool.  I think its called a pulley holder.

149876222.jpg

Removing the tub seal.

149876328.jpg

I use a 1/4 ratchec extension to push out the old tub bearing.  I don't hit it hard. I just let the hammer fall.

149876529.jpg

I aways replace the tub bearing.

149876631.jpg

The 1/2 way mark.  Notice I dragged it outside on the grass.  You don't have to clean up the crud like you would if it was inside on the floor this way.

150959126.jpg

Don't forget this

149876832.jpg

Leave the tape on the brake.

149876933.jpg

The proper way to handle the new seal.

149877035.jpg

I use the same extemsion to push the edges of the seal in place all around. 

149877136.jpg

149877237.jpg

149877341injury.jpg

02X10032 Tub seal, WH2X1193 Hub Nut, WH43X10009 Air Bell Coupling, WH02X10037 Screw.

fetch.dll?action=MyPhotos_GetMBPhoto&ImageID=nEQAAAFoG3jT7iqPfPpbynFeGGWu1UHPytdIS2aQFTjAh4RKDyZdb9g

149877443.jpg

149893944.jpg

149893645keeptheairin.jpg

:jedi:

I'm getting all nostalgic now...memories of many GE transmissions.....:gulp:

UNBELIEVABLE!!

After 2 hours of trying to get a GE tech to tell me how to remove the air bell coupling, I finally did some searches and found this thread.  Jedi's picture post was exactly what I needed(looks like the same model too!)

I'm going to head downstairs armed with my new Jedi knowledge.

rePAir It I mUST!

Chad

Now...If only I could get ahold of one of those special tools to get the big nut off...That's where my problem is now.

Chad

We gotta get Jedi to give us the finishing touches on this excellent how-to thread! :jedi:

Yep... Any day now.... Finishing touches... Still waiting.