Isn’t it time to know what you don’t know?

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.

Evaporative cooler works on Low but not on High

3 posts in this topic

My mom has an evaporative cooler from Sears. Model # 661626920. When it is on Low it works great. It does nothing once the switch is set to High. I'm thinking its the switch. Could it be the motor or something else ? Is there something I can check to see if it is the motor or the switch. The switch part is only 11.99 but I don't want to damage the unit during the hot weather cuz that would be very hard on my Mom.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Hopefully, this can't be too difficult.  Just put a meter across your motor voltage and throw the switch to High.  If you lose voltage, then the switch is a pretty good place to start.  Of course there is always the possibility of a broken lead between the switch and the motor, but I'd rule out the switch first. 

well I aint ever worked on an evap cooler but I would say that you hava a coomon post with a lead coming in from the power supply cord ans you have a L1 lead coming from the power cord and then you have a black wire and a red wire for high and low. check between L1 and the black wire  with the switch turned to high and see if you have continuity . and in order to get a coorect reading without a false loop remove the L1 wire. Be sure to unplug the dang thang beforehand:yikes: