LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Maytag Washer lat8016aae agitates and drains but doesn't spin

Yackman

May be just a item of clothing stuck under the tub top or between spin basket and outer tub.

I spun a paper clip through all the holes on the bottom, so I think I've ruled out a stuck piece of clothing.

The bottom transmission pulley is turning when it is trying to spin - when you watch the transmission below the tub, is it trying to move at all?   If not, have you tried to give it a turn by hand when the motor is running in the spin direction?

Have you tried to turn the transmission pulley by hand in the spin direction and see how hard it is to turn and if you can move the transmission when you turn the pulley to release the break?

Any signs of splatter on the inside cabinet walls at the very bottom of the outer basket, if there is then a good chance the seal has gone out and the tub bearing is locked up.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2020 at 7:03 AM, Budget Appliance Repair said:

The bottom transmission pulley is turning when it is trying to spin - when you watch the transmission below the tub, is it trying to move at all?   If not, have you tried to give it a turn by hand when the motor is running in the spin direction?

Have you tried to turn the transmission pulley by hand in the spin direction and see how hard it is to turn and if you can move the transmission when you turn the pulley to release the break?

Any signs of splatter on the inside cabinet walls at the very bottom of the outer basket, if there is then a good chance the seal has gone out and the tub bearing is locked up.

Transmission is not moving.  I have tried turning it by hand and it is difficult but will spin.  
I have tried turning the pulley by hand in both directions and it is hard to turn in the spin direction.  Again - transmission is difficult to turn but will.  I'm not confident the brake is releasing.

No signs of splatter.

Sounds to me like something stuck under spin basket and outer tub!!!!!

If you try to turn the transmission by hand without turning the main drive pulley in the spin direction you should barely if all be able to turn the transmission.  If that is so and when turning the pulley in spin direction you are then able to turn transmission by hand easier then when not turning pulley but still hard  - then you need to remove the spin basket and look for something under the basket.

Look closely with a flashlight down the sides to the bottom and you might get lucky and see the edge of something under the basket that you might be able to hook with a straightened hanger or something so you don't have to remove the spin basket, (you need a special sized spanner wrench for tub nut - left hand threads on tub nut).

• Like 1

I have run into some that the bearing has seized but not let enough water through to show the splatter pattern. So if there is nothing between the tubs As budget said, I would go that route.  I have had very little brake issues over the years, mainly when I have had issues it has been on machines in basements where there has been lots of moisture 

My appliance guru came and took a look at it - he said that the pulley is not riding up and releasing the brake like it is supposed to.  Recommends a new transmission or scrapping it.  It might be time to go shopping - what are your thoughts on Speed Queen TC5000WN?

Speed queen  tc 5000 is the best and closest thing you will find to what you have,  

@Yackman The transmission in your washer is the newer style that is very serviceable without removing the transmission.

You can lay the washer on it's back and turn the transmission cover to the top and remove the cover to access.

If the pulley isn't riding up correctly to release the brake then what is most likely happening is that the input shaft is pulling out of the transmission instead of staying put in place so the pulley screws up on the shaft end threads, because the "Collar Pin - ref#10" has either broken or came loose.

Depending on your serial number, if the first two numbers are 22 or higher than you use a plastic keeper clip instead of the collar and collar pin - much more likely for this style to break the plastic keeper clip, these two parts, (ref#5 and 19) instead of the collar and threaded collar pin, (ref#5 and 10)

Part number: WP22002353

Part number: WP22002353

Part number: WP22002341

Part number: WP22002341

Remove the belt and see if the pulley and shaft seems to want to pull down and out the transmission, (don't pull it out any more than about 1/2" to 1" - If the collar pin isn't broken or loose then you shouldn't be able to pull the pulley and shaft out of the transmission at all.

900.thumb.jpeg.a7ff7804b37b4d339bb395e4cdc0e8e4.jpeg

Edited by Budget Appliance Repair
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Budget Appliance Repair said:

very serviceable

was kinda wondering why his guy didn't want to fix it ,  seemed a little odd to me .  maybe there were other issues too ??

13 hours ago, evaappliance said:

maybe there were other issues

I think the other issues was either he didn't really want to mess with it or assumed that it was the older style transmission, (didn't look up or open front panel).

• Like 1

I wondered that too...  He knew it was the newer style transmission...

I opened it up last night - drained the transmission oil - Pulled the (Collar Pin - ref#10)  - there was nothing damaged there. 

I think the brake is stuck.  I'd replace the brake, but the washer is around 25 years old, so I think I'm going to get the Speed Queen TC5000WN today.

Thank you all for your advice.  This is a wonderful community and I appreciate your knowledge and wisdom and input.

@Yackman In my 35 years of appliance repair I can't even remember one time seeing one of those brake paks fail!!!!

Did your tech remove the drive pulley and  check the thrust bearing and pulley threads.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2020 at 5:51 AM, Budget Appliance Repair said:

Sounds to me like something stuck under spin basket and outer tub!!!!!

i still think this, or it leaked just enough water to start seizing the spin bearing,  agree, very rare to have a brake issue !!  on the video it looked like the pulley threads and  thrust bearing were working , far as i could tell .   sure do hate to see one of these get threw away when it could be fixed