Click here to check out this guide.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Condensing Unit / Fan not working

IT_tech

Hello,  Not doing so well here in CA. it is 105+ outside and my sisters condensing unit quit working. there has been power outages lately. and I think also in the same day.

((The Carrier Condensing Unit is not working. just makes clicking sounds. Nothing comes on. no other sounds.))

When I call for cooling, the blower unit works fine, (obviously blowing warm air) but outside I can hear clicking sounds, and the whole unit will not come on. looking at the contactor, it operates. (pulls in and stays in), and it tests out both sides of the contactor/ at 115VAC when in the out position and in position. . and the connections for thermostat show 24VAC.  it is a double pole 40 breaker fuse. ((also nothing operates when i manually push in the contactor.))

and when i check the plug at the condensing unit, it has power too.

not sure the best way to check the capacitor / and discharge it, I have heard differing ways, one was to short it out with a 10k/1w ohm resistor.

how do i check the capacitor safely? to figure if it is bad or good?

this is frustrating, i can rebuild computers, and configure them to my hearts delight, but testing this unit and figuring out what is wrong is frustrating. I have schematics and a book form the Airconditioning Institute. but it does not explain well enough to help here.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You need to have 240v going to the outside unit to operate. It sounds like you don't. Measure it across the two incoming wires. It is very unlikely that the fan motor and the compressor would fail at the same time.

When you push the relay in, the fan and compressor should come on if there is power to the unit.

go back into the arcives to find pregnant capacitor by me and you will get a good explanation of capicitor woes

Archived