Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Maytag Start and Power button broken

nikfr80s

I have a Maytag Epic Electric Dryer MEDZ600TW2

Both the Power and Start buttons are hanging on by a thread. Thinking, oh that will be an easy part to swap. No No, it is connected to the User Interface Control Board which is about $170.

Looking for a work-around to get these buttons back to working order.

Any thoughts?

Image of buttons: https://ibb.co/Yf6kjqr

Here's what I would do if this were my own and I didn't want to spend the money on a new control board just to replace broken plastic button pushers.

I've done similar on a range control board that had the plastic button pushers broken off.

Doesn't look like the plastic button pusher for the POWER button is broken off yet, if it isn't to try and save it from breaking off I would fill the open area around the plastic button with silicone RTV sealant to keep the plastic pusher in place if it should break loose like the start button has.

Before trying to do this remove the user interface/control board and take the control board out of the plastic housing.

Put clear packing tape on the top side of the plastic buttons to keep the silicone from forcing thru to the front side of the plastic housing - it will also let you position the broken off START button in the correct place, (a small dot of super glue on the tabs that used to attach it to the housing then when dry also put silicone RTV sealant around the slot/opening surrounding the button).

You can cut disk the same size as the holes in the front panel out of a plastic butter tub lid or something similar and put the the plastic disk in the POWER and START button holes and tape over the top side with clear packing tape to hold them in place, (this will help keep from damaging the button pushers that you have repaired).

You may end up having to shave a tiny bit off the peg that sticks out the back side of the pusher buttons to keep them from pushing the physical buttons on the control board when you reassemble the control board into the housing if the repaired buttons happen to push the physical buttons before you actually push them.

• Like 1

Yesss. Thank you much for the detailed how-to, great advice for someone who didn't know where to even begin. Going to attempt this over the weekend.