Click here to check out our on-demand appliance repair training webinars.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

need help Repairing Viking 023651-000 Spark Module

rogersb

Hi everyone,

Thanks for considering my question.  Im helping repair a board, Viking  023651-000 Spark Module that has R1 burned up, melted the plastic housing a bit.  Not sure the exact history of this, the board went bad , the person replaced with this board, and it worked fine for 6 months (?) and stopped igniting, opened and saw the heat damage, then opened the cover and see R1 connections at the board are somewhat heat damaged but ok, discolored.  If R1 had color stripes theyre burned off. 

At least hoping to find the value of R1 to buy another resistor or if its a common occurence for this board; 

Ive done pc board rework alot of years and am very careful but its for the owner who is also repairing it, not going to an end customer

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rogersb

• 16345Ed

• WOOKIE

• ECtoFix

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 8/8/2020 at 1:46 PM, rogersb said:

Hi everyone,

Thanks for considering my question.  Im helping repair a board, Viking  023651-000 Spark Module that has R1 burned up, melted the plastic housing a bit.  Not sure the exact history of this, the board went bad , the person replaced with this board, and it worked fine for 6 months (?) and stopped igniting, opened and saw the heat damage, then opened the cover and see R1 connections at the board are somewhat heat damaged but ok, discolored.  If R1 had color stripes theyre burned off. 

At least hoping to find the value of R1 to buy another resistor or if its a common occurence for this board; 

Ive done pc board rework alot of years and am very careful but its for the owner who is also repairing it, not going to an end customer

picture of burned board

In other words Ive stumped everyone because no one here knows how electronic components work, so uhh just uhh buy a new board, yeah thats it, thats the ticket

They already bought another board for $400 ok? and it went bad.  $400 board for about 6 months of use is not acceptable. Owners not cheap but not stupid either.

7 hours ago, 16345Ed said:

Viking range and too cheap to replace $300 board? 

Sorry...

What a loser you are, Senior fellow? of what NOTHING.  Senior loser and crybaby.  I stumped you, doubt you could figure out what a resistor even is.  big freaking fake is what you are

you couldnt figure out how to fix this board if your life depended on it because youre a failure and a loser, right?  So just dont reply if you lack the intellect.

Hit a nerve... again I’m sorry. 

You are correct I don’t repair boards.

I fix appliances. If an appliance needs a new board I replace the board. If the board is taken out more than once I determine why. 

Good luck with your repair, there are many professional electrical engineers on board here that I’m sure can help you. 

I’m not sure why they haven’t offered you help.

8 hours ago, rogersb said:

What a loser you are, Senior fellow? of what NOTHING.  Senior loser and crybaby.  I stumped you, doubt you could figure out what a resistor even is.  big freaking fake is what you are

you couldnt figure out how to fix this board if your life depended on it because youre a failure and a loser, right?  So just dont reply if you lack the intellect.

I watched this post purposely and,SADLY, I expected such a response ignorant from some nitwit over the internet.

I had more to say, but it would be pointless.

Sorry you are so disillusioned about what repair techs actually encounter daily vs your expectations.

Goodbye...

3 minutes ago, ECtoFix said:

I watched this post purposely and,SADLY, I expected such a response ignorant from some nitwit over the internet.

I had more to say, but it would be pointless.

Sorry you are so disillusioned about what repair techs actually encounter daily vs your expectations.

Goodbye...

because you dont know how to fix anything electronic, so instead of risk looking like a fake? you mock me, no surprise.  Just another fake... wouldnt know what a resistor is or how to test one.  So stupid, didnt say this is what appliance techs do, but the extremes some fake ppl will go to cover their incompetence

Change a board out, wow must take *alot* of skill!   if u dont know how electronics components work I couldnt care less, but to interject some snotty flaming trash talk then its a problem. Ignorant ?  just look in the mirror. didnt have to chime in and show youve got no real electronics understanding... but you did.  And to stay so intellectual you decided not to talk with ME anymore?  Pathetic, I pity you.

Board Level repair The GOOD, The BAD, The UGLY.  :  

The Good -> it is nice to be able to do board level repair's BUT!

The Bad -> Your issue is a classic example of why as a appliance technician you don't . The customer would be wanting to know why the Board YOU!!, repaired failed in only six months and, expect you to replace it with a new one for FREE!!!

The Ugly -> they now think you don't know what you are doing and, will bad mouth you to everyone .

Normally if you buy a board from a reputable supply house you would get a 1 year warranty on the board and they will replace it.  

So, there has been two board failures on this viking.  WHY??? Replacing the resistor will not solve the problem.  WHAT is causing this issue.  Have you researched to see if this is a known problem ? Maybe a bad batch of board's (it Happens) , Bad voltage , loose wire connection's . voltage spikes. improper operation.   If not it will happen again and again and you will look incompetent . 

OK that being that. Alot of people here are very qualified in what they are doing and ,your hissy fit is being very disrespectful . Many have a electronic's background.  Master Samurai is a Electrical engineer. I do board level repair ONLY for close friend's.  It's not worth the headache and time involved. 

Here is a picture of the board you are inquiring about and NOTE. the resistor has no bands on it.

Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 9.37.36 PM.png

Two boards have had the same failure. The problem is not the board. You need to find out why the resistor is failing.

Regardless of whether you fix the board or replace the board, it's going to fail again.  

13 hours ago, WOOKIE said:

Board Level repair The GOOD, The BAD, The UGLY.  :  

The Good -> it is nice to be able to do board level repair's BUT!

The Bad -> Your issue is a classic example of why as a appliance technician you don't . The customer would be wanting to know why the Board YOU!!, repaired failed in only six months and, expect you to replace it with a new one for FREE!!!

The Ugly -> they now think you don't know what you are doing and, will bad mouth you to everyone .

Normally if you buy a board from a reputable supply house you would get a 1 year warranty on the board and they will replace it.  

So, there has been two board failures on this viking.  WHY??? Replacing the resistor will not solve the problem.  WHAT is causing this issue.  Have you researched to see if this is a known problem ? Maybe a bad batch of board's (it Happens) , Bad voltage , loose wire connection's . voltage spikes. improper operation.   If not it will happen again and again and you will look incompetent . 

OK that being that. Alot of people here are very qualified in what they are doing and ,your hissy fit is being very disrespectful . Many have a electronic's background.  Master Samurai is a Electrical engineer. I do board level repair ONLY for close friend's.  It's not worth the headache and time involved. 

Here is a picture of the board you are inquiring about and NOTE. the resistor has no bands on it.

Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 9.37.36 PM.png

ok thanks for your reply. But lets clarify.  the owner of this stove got it cheap because it didnt work right, bad board, so he spent $400 on the board plus a solenoid for the broiler, in 6 months that new board he bought went bad. They pulled out the module, found the plastic housing warped/melted near R1. Opened to find heat damage at R1 which is open.

i never fixed the board before.  I got asked to do this because its a skill Ive done for 50 years or so, alot of years my work, repairing pc boards. 

Yes I fully agree, Id NEVER! try to fix a pc board for a customer because then for reasons you said I not only OWN the repair and warranty but any failure makes me look bad when I was just trying to help, fully agree on that one.  This is a friend who started working on the board, who's a certified tech (in another related field) and likes to learn about electronics, he started working on the board and says why will this part burn? So now? its HIS board that hes trying to fix. I pointed out why would the board fail again if its new? are the electrode lighter things dirty? no! he says theyre clean and spotless.  Is there a warranty? dont know. I said check before you touch with a tool or the warranty is void (obviously)

He thinks the board has a feature to detect the flame and stop the spark but for some reason this board may be sparking forever and that caused R1 to burn out over time. Let me say again this is NOT for a customer. the owner of the range is wanting to repair the board. 

The hope is to replace R1 and install it and see if the sparking is going forever, or try and trace why this board is failing. I worked not only as tv repair tech decades ago, but as an electrical engineer alot of years, did alot of pc design, board layout, know how to be a buyer, or did in the old days.  When someone is snarky or tries to imply skill, its not something that goes well in my presence, if someone is learning? Ill do what I can to share my knowledge, help them, educate them right?  But when someone who doesnt know electronics gets snarky with me they get called out.  

I only wanted a reply as YOU!! gave here, thanks just the facts. Im not asking you to spend hours figuring it out for me, Just wanted to ask someone in this field a couple questions and THANK YOU for showing the board photo.  Im sorry it has no stripes or value printed on it? what resistor has no value on it?  a burned resistor?  I could design a new spark control board from scratch, but why? he wont pay that much, and a critical circuit design takes overhead. I dont do that for free.  

If we can throw the right value of R1 in there and bench test... who knows. But again this isnt for a customer.

I know it can be frustrating.  Some of the boards have continuous spark  and some have a relate capability.  If it is sparking continuously it may not be detecting that there  is a flame presence from flame rectification.  Check the web site for picture number 2 there is a 14 page PDF file with all the spec's you may need. But no resistance values. 

Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 12.06.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 12.07.34 PM.png

• 2 years later...
GeorgeKramer
On 8/8/2020 at 10:46 AM, rogersb said:

Years too late I'm sure, but it's a 47 Ohm 5% 3W (markings read 47R 5% 3W, no color stripes).  Source: I have the same board with a leaky cap (C2, appears to be a 2.2 uF 250V).