Click here to check out our on-demand appliance repair training webinars.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological. 
      We have a special session planned for this one. Instead of the usual Show 'n Tell on a technical topic, we're going to post tech sheets in the comments to this Calendar Event (scroll down to see what's posted so far) and ask specific questions that can only be answered by reading the tech sheet. If you at least try to answer the questions beforehand, you'll get a lot more out of it. The tech sheet and the questions are posted in the comments section below.
      Your mission, if you should choose to accept it, is to check out the questions for each one and try to answer them ahead of time. Then come to the Dojo to see how well you did! 
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

NEED HELP WITH GROUND WIRE LOCATIONS - MAYTAG MODEL MAV551EEWW TOP LOAD WASHER

AdrianBailey34

AdrianBailey34

MAYTAG TOP LOAD WASHER - MODEL MAV551EEWW

I’ve got a Maytag Top Load Washer - Model No. MAV551EEWW - and I’ve recently had to replace the Drain Pump when it became noisey. Before concluding that I needed a new Drain Pump, I had taken the washer almost completely apart (removed wiring connections from control board, removed ground wire screws, removed drive motor, removed drive belt, and finally removed drain hoses/pump) - after receiving the new Drain Pump and installing it, I’ve got everything all but put back together....The ONLY thing I’ve now run into is I cannot remember where all the ground wires either screw/mount onto the frame!! Help!!! There are a total of either four or five ground wire connections - two are located by the drive motor; one connects to the frame of the washer cabinet, the he other connects to the mounting plate for the motor - then the other two or three grounds are up top by the control panel/power cord wiring/front panel/lid switch. Please help me figure it out - I know it’s a grounding issue because I’ve tripped our breaker three times for the outlets/lights in our laundry room upon trying to plug the washer in to test the new pump!

It shouldn’t matter as long as they screw to the frame. The entire frame is a ground connection. 

As techs we don’t often do total tear downs. We would have diagnosed the pump and simply replaced it. 

The more disassembly, especially unnecessary disassembly, the higher the likelihood of other issues popping up. 

Hopefully you haven’t already shorted a electronic component due to the grounding problem. 

• Like 1

Decades old standard for ground wires are green. Any other color wire connected to ground is a problem and highly likely a electrical shock issue. As Ed mention, ground is ground anywhere on the washer frame. Tripping a breaker means you have connected a live 120 volt wire to ground, shorted to ground. I recommend you unplug the washer and find a local appliance technician to inspect the washer. Be up front on the situation with the tech as electrocution is a possibility.