Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

GE Fridge with inverter compressor control voltage between 11k & 13k?

Thrashmetl

GE Profile model: PGSS5RKZC SS

So my fridge stopped cooling yesterday so I started YouTubing and found this fantastic troubleshooting video.

The compressor and inverter board are pretty much the same as mine. Borrowed a multimeter and it is getting 120VAC. Tested the posts on the compressor itself and got 6.8 all around. Tested the signal from the motherboard to the inverter board though and instead of getting 4-6VDC I get a reading fluctuating between 11k and 13k. We had the motherboard replaced 3 years ago. Is it the motherboard again?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thrashmetl

• isaac

• Nathaniel Peterson

• David R

2 hours ago, isaac said:

I would expect it to read about 5vdc but it does sound like its a bad inverter board 

Why would it be the inverter board if the signal going to the inverter board is way too high?

And after thinking about this more, could the excessively high signal to the inverter board cause a cascade effect and cause the inverter board to fail too?

So I bought a new main control board and the signal at J15 going to the inverter board is still reading 12VDC instead of between 4 and 6VDC. Don’t know where to go from here. 

3 hours ago, Thrashmetl said:

So I bought a new main control board and the signal at J15 going to the inverter board is still reading 12VDC instead of between 4 and 6VDC. Don’t know where to go from here. 

I would still go with the inverter board

20 hours ago, Thrashmetl said:

Why would it be the inverter board if the signal going to the inverter board is way too high?

And after thinking about this more, could the excessively high signal to the inverter board cause a cascade effect and cause the inverter board to fail too?

Its GE sometimes stuff just has no good explanations by them,  but please update us with the results,  good luck

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2023 at 8:17 PM, David R said:

I am having  the same issue.   Did you find the problem

Make sure you test with the connections still plugged in or you'll get bad readings. It's very possible the board takes out the inverter. Do what the video explains. Make sure you check the windings on the compressor.

• 2 months later...
On 9/17/2023 at 3:52 PM, Nathaniel Peterson said:

Make sure you test with the connections still plugged in or you'll get bad readings. It's very possible the board takes out the inverter. Do what the video explains. Make sure you check the windings on the compressor.

Tested windings on compressor, check. tested inbound voltage from mainbord, 7 V, check. tested 120 V supply, check. replaced inverter control board, will not engage; nogo.

Unit was powered on.

ICB has clear lense and green led, as with the old, it flashes periodically. 

I am stumped.

• 4 months later...
gecko555

having similar issue here - replaced main control board, replaced inverter, replaced wiring harness, wired temporarily to new compressor just to rule that out - still no dice - getting 110 to the compressor but not the 3-6v signal from control board.