Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Weird (to me) dryer cord wiring - WED4950HW0 if it matters

Mr. Flannery

Can someone explain this to me?

Weird cord wiring

The cord white is not attached to anything. The machine white is on the center terminal and there is a jumper from the center terminal to the ground screw with the cord green.

This looked odd to me, so I 'fixed' it. Removed the jumper. Both neutrals on center. Green on ground.  Like all of the other dryers with 4 prong cords I've ever done.

It didn't turn on. WHY?

Changed it back to the original wiring with the detached cord white and jumper. WHY?

What am I missing?

That is weird. And unnecessary. If you were going by the installation guide, you remove the pointless black jumper and double up the two white wires. That dangling white wire came out of the box in place of the green wire  but if you use a 4 wire cord, you have to move the white wire to the middle terminal on the block (the white wire) and screw the green wire to the cabinet with the screw that's there (the green one).

11 minutes ago, Scottekarate said:

That is weird. And unnecessary. If you were going by the installation guide, you remove the pointless black jumper and double up the two white wires. That dangling white wire came out of the box in place of the green wire  but if you use a 4 wire cord, you have to move the white wire to the middle terminal on the block (the white wire) and screw the green wire to the cabinet with the screw that's there (the green one).

Yep that's exactly what I did. The customer was not impressed when I said I was done and the dryer didn't turn on. I put it back in this strange configuration and it worked. I'm still baffled. 

The wiring from the house or power cord is incorrect.

It needs red, black, white and green wires for hot, hot, neutral and ground.

It has 2 white wires that aren't identified and a black jumper wire for some reason.

One of the white wires is probably neutral and one is probably ground and the black wire is connecting the case to neutral, but to be honest, I would have told the customer to call an electrician, and walked. 

There's a higher level of weirdness here than I'm willing to accept responsibility for.

Edited by Terry Carmen
  • Like 3

Agree with @Terry Carmen house wiring issue.  Typically the bonding wire from neutral to the cabinet is there for 3 prong pigtails as there is no separtate ground wire. 4 prong pigtails have one wire for L1, L2, neutral and ground and you remove the bonding wire or strap.  So your picture is probably an older home with 2 wire 240 vac and ground or a DIY job gone wrong.  In most panels the neutral and ground wire go to the same buse bar.