Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological. 
      We have a special session planned for this one. Instead of the usual Show 'n Tell on a technical topic, we're going to post tech sheets in the comments to this Calendar Event (scroll down to see what's posted so far) and ask specific questions that can only be answered by reading the tech sheet. If you at least try to answer the questions beforehand, you'll get a lot more out of it. The tech sheet and the questions are posted in the comments section below.
      Your mission, if you should choose to accept it, is to check out the questions for each one and try to answer them ahead of time. Then come to the Dojo to see how well you did! 
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Problem with Temperature in GE Monogram Side by Side Refrigerator

John McG

GE 48" MONOGRAM SIDE BY SIDE -ZISS480DRASS

I am having a problem with temperature in my refrigerator side.  Freezer set to 0F reads -4F. Refrigerator set at 37F reads 45F Temperatures confirmed with IR Thermometer at sensors. However, the problem comes and goes. If it reads 45F and I lower the setting to 34F it will eventually go down to 34 and the freezer will be -1F but the next day it will read 45F again and the freezer will be -4F to -6F or the refrigerator may stay at 37F for a couple of days before reading 45F again. All comments and suggestions are appreciated!

First thing i would suggest a data logger to get actual reading at any given time,  with that info we can check further 

• Like 1

I like data logger idea. But thermistors need tested at two temperatures. That’s where I’d start. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 16345Ed said:

I like data logger idea. But thermistors need tested at two temperatures. That’s where I’d start. 

Freezer getting to sub temperatures,  i would think its cause fridge never reaching temperature,  most likely some air flow issue,  but first we need to understand and confirm the actual temperature issue,  

• Like 1

On 11/25/2020 at 7:13 PM, isaac said:

First thing i would suggest a data logger to get actual reading at any given time,  with that info we can check further 

Where can I get a data logger?

I have ordered two data loggers. One for refrigerator & one for the freezer. I will update and provide the results after I receive and run tests.

46 minutes ago, John McG said:

I have ordered two data loggers. One for refrigerator & one for the freezer. I will update and provide the results after I receive and run tests.

So if temps are off a bit what will you do then?

I am hopeful that you guys can lead me in the right direction. If not I would probably check out the damper first.  I would like to buy a new fridge but at $11,000 I will try to fix this one...🙂

My point being regardless of temp test outcome. You are still going to want to test thermistors. 

11,000!  Call a service tech. 

2 hours ago, 16345Ed said:

My point being regardless of temp test outcome. You are still going to want to test thermistors. 

It looks like the thermistors are fairly accessible and cost only about $14 each. https://www.appliancepartspros.com/ge-temperature-sensor-wr55x10025-ap3185407.html

I believe I have to cut the thermistor off to test it then splice it back together to replace it? If so would it be better to just replace them?

3 hours ago, 16345Ed said:

$11,000 - This is a 48" built-in and was in the house when we bought it 3 years ago so I would have to replace it with a 48" unit unless I rebuild all the cabinets. I would not buy a GE and the other available 48" models like ours range in price from $10 -$18,000 with the more expensive units having the best reviews.

The temperatures in the fridge and freezer have been maintaining the setting within a degree or two for the past 4 days (when I looked at it). I guess I have a mystery??