Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Evaporator Motor for Amana TZ19RW

jeffg

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!!

I am having an issue with the refrigerator section of my Amana TZ19RW not cooling - the freezer seems to be working just fine.  I disassembled the interior of the freezer box and discovered that the evaporator motor is spinning, but very, very slowly.   So I went looking for a new motor online but all the places I found say its no longer available.  I was wondering if there is a universal motor that could be used?  I can imagine that there is anything too special about the motor itself.  I did see a couple on ebay but don't know enough about them in general to make the purchase with any confidence.

Thanks for taking a look and hopefully pointing me in the right direction.

Jeff

It looks like the Supco SMA999 should work.  I was looking on Amazon and several people have claimed that they only get about a year of of it.  I also saw some similar choices from Blue Stars but am unsure which model, if any, would work.

Thanks again!

Ok ... now I’m a bit puzzled.  I left the appliance plugged in to keep the items in the freezer until this AM.  I went down today to unload it and the fan was running just fine.  Is there something that controls the RPMs of the fan or does is simply cycle on and off as needed?  

I was hoping for the fan motor since it’s obviously the easier fix.

Thanks again!

Jeff

This is a single speed fan. Look for bad wires or connections; it's probably the fan though. I'm thinking you could use this one if you can deal with the connections being on the other side.

https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Evaporator-Fan-Motor/WPW10189703/1469124?replacedManufacturerPartNumber=W10189703

• Like 1

The older Amana's have the evaporator fan motor wired thru the defrost bi-metal so that the evaporator fan doesn't come on until the evaporator is below the cut-in temp of the defrost bi-metal/t-stat

• Like 2

Initially the fan was spinning but very very slowly - maybe 1 RPM.  This morning is was running what appeared to be at full speed.

Budget Appliance Repair- is that a component of the defrost timer itself?

1 hour ago, jeffg said:

I wanted to add that evaporator coil wasn't iced up in the least. 

With compressor running?

20 hours ago, jeffg said:

is that a component of the defrost timer itself?

NO, the defrost t-stat/bi-metal is the one inch round disk clipped to the evaporator tubing - It shuts off the defrost if the temp gets to around 45 to 50 degrees, (whatever the specs of the defrost t-stat is), this is so that the freezer doesn't turn into an oven and get too hot.

The defrost timer will usually do from a 21 to 30 minute defrost, which is usually much longer time then needed to do a complete defrost so the defrost t-stat/bi-metal opens to turn the heater off when it gets to the upper temp limit.  Then the defrost timer keeps advancing until the specified defrost time is completed and starts the run cycle again.

• Like 1

I ended up installing a universal evaporator fan motor and I’m back in business!  Thanks so much for the help!

Now into install a new sump assembly in the LG dishwasher.