Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

GE JKP64/65 Comination Unit Oven Malfunction

Jllanders

The evening before Thanksgiving the power went out in our neighborhood for a couple hours. Unfortunately, our even was in a Self Clean cycle. The next morning, power was on, but now the electronic controls for the oven would not light up or respond, even clock function out and ......door locked because power went our during self clean cycle. 

I have turned breaker off and left it off for 5 minutes and turned if back on with no improvement. This unit was probably installed in 1995. Is there is there in procedure to recover from this or a internal fuse mechanism to look at? 

Thank you in advance.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jllanders

• isaac

• evaappliance

Never never never run a self cleaning cycle close to an important date that you will be needing the stove.  If a stove is going to break, that’s when it will happen. 

2 hours ago, evaappliance said:

Never never never run a self cleaning cycle close to an important date that you will be needing the stove.  If a stove is going to break, that’s when it will happen. 

I certainly understand that. I would be a fan of never using it to begin with. It happened without my knowledge or input until after the fact.  Thank you.

13 hours ago, isaac said:

Sounds like you blew your high limit thermostat 

Would this disable that portion of the control panel as well? Thank you in advance.

Jeff

1 minute ago, Jllanders said:

Would this disable that portion of the control panel as well

Yes,  if you post the full model number from the oven itself i might able to guide you to where it located,  but they are not always easy to get to and alot of times its caused by a bad or slow cooling fan

Isaac:

I believe the power outage during the operation is the likely culprit. Lots of residual heat and no fan operation. My significant other said she uses the self clean function every three or so months with no issues. We know now that was sub optimum procedure for a unit of this age. 

I do not know where to find the exact model number. I saw the exploded parts diagrams on another website. It appears parts availability is a further issue. I can get the unit out in the next day or so hopefully. The oven door is currently locked due to the power outage during cleaning cycle. I need to get one of my guys to come over to assist so I do not gouge the hardwoods, scratch up the cabinet etc. as is my custom.

I have a similar vintage Whirlpool GMC305PD available from a friend for basically whatever I offer him. It is a 30 inch and appears it would barely fit with modifications to open the exerior trim of the cabinet. 

Thank you again for your help.

• 2 months later...
On 11/28/2020 at 11:20 AM, isaac said:

Yes,  if you post the full model number from the oven itself i might able to guide you to where it located,  but they are not always easy to get to and alot of times its caused by a bad or slow cooling fan

Isaac:

Sorry it took so long. The model number is: GE  JKP65WOP3WG. It appears both the High Limit Switch and Control Board are available, although the board is pricy.

I have someone coming tomorrow to help me remove the unit. I suppose I can test the High Limit Thermostat with the meter. Could it also be verified by bypassing it while unit is out sitting on blocks for a few seconds or should I wait to have one on hand for safety reasons? I would not under any circumstances operate the oven bypassed.

As it was in Cleaning Cycle when power went out which caused the malfunction, the oven door is locked shut. It the control board works again when limiter is temp bypassed, should door lock recycle?

Thank you in advance.