LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Electric Whirlpool Duet dryer GEW9200 not drying properly

swechsler

Clothes get hot but drying takes much longer than it should, even on highest temperature, and when using the timed cycle rather than the moisture sensors. I compared with a newer Duet dryer for comparison and it takes a normal amount of time, so I know my expectations are not off (the GEW9200 takes about twice as long to dry as the newer one, assuming an equivalent load). Here's what I've tried, none of these have changed anything:

• Ran dryer without vent hose attached
  • Cleaned lint filter with soft brush and soapy water
  • Opened up machine front and back and removed all lint from inside to ensure proper airflow
  • Tightened bracket holding duct leading from squirrel cage blower to drum (bad design here, only a single screw holding it in)

There appears to be decent airflow coming out of the vent but I have no way of measuring. Blower blades appear to be in good condition. What have I missed?

Model number listed is not complete, looked up GEW9200LW1. It has a front bottom cover that is removable.  Remove the cover and you will see the heater box, bend the end shield down so you can observe the heating element. Start a dry cycle and watch the heating element - it should glow a dark red to red color with the front part of the element being a little darker. This indicates good airflow. If the element glows a bright red and glows all the way to the front there is a airflow issue.  One of the most over looked area is the drum seals. If the seals leak there will be good airflow out of the vent, but poor airflow through the heater box. sometimes there is lint build up at the back of the heater box to duct area. Sometimes the heating elemnet will sag and touch the metal box causing low heat output. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Vance R said:

Model number listed is not complete, looked up GEW9200LW1. It has a front bottom cover that is removable.  Remove the cover and you will see the heater box, bend the end shield down so you can observe the heating element. Start a dry cycle and watch the heating element - it should glow a dark red to red color with the front part of the element being a little darker. This indicates good airflow. If the element glows a bright red and glows all the way to the front there is a airflow issue.  One of the most over looked area is the drum seals. If the seals leak there will be good airflow out of the vent, but poor airflow through the heater box. sometimes there is lint build up at the back of the heater box to duct area. Sometimes the heating elemnet will sag and touch the metal box causing low heat output. 

Thanks, I will check the drum seals. I did check for lint in the heater box, nothing significant.

6 hours ago, 16345Ed said:

Is washer leaving clothes sopping wet? Maybe a washer spin issue?

No, I tried a different dryer with this washer and it worked perfectly.