Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Electrolux EDC2075GDW not heating

toadfish

Hi everyone, and thanks in advance for any help.

https://resource.electrolux.com.au/Public/File/?Id=27604 This is the user manual for the unit.

I've not been getting any heat, but the drum continues to turn.

I've been watching a few videos online and as it's a condensing unit I checked the pump by pouring water into the overflow.  It pumped the water back into the waste water container when I turned it on.

I have pulled the heating element from the unit following this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-H73UxbpSQ. This is not an identical model, but the closest I could find as a reference.

https://shop.electrolux.com.au/part/dryers-elements-heater-240v1400-600w-1366110300/ This is unit.

I've done a continuity test on the element and the thermostat and they all seem good.  However, unlike the reference video, my unit has 1 thermostat where it has 2, and mine has a 2nd "thing" that has it's own pair of wires coming from the electronic control unit.  It's obviously some temperature related device, but I am unsure if it's a thermostat or fuse of some kind.  It's reading about 4.7Kohms, but I have no idea if this is normal or not.

At the moment I am thinking my heater is actually good, and I need to look elsewhere, I just have no idea where else to look.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vance R

• toadfish

• isaac

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, toadfish said:

mine has a 2nd "thing" that has it's own pair of wires coming from the electronic control unit

Probably a thermistor to let the board know the temperature. Does your have the "third" thermostat at the front as in the video?  Presume the filter and the condenser are clean.  Since this a dryer for Australia is the incoming voltage good? Unable to find any service manuals for this dryer here in the US. At the moment suspect there is a control board issue or another thermostat open. Is there a wiring diagram or tech sheet inside the dryer?

On 1/11/2021 at 2:23 AM, isaac said:

Are you testing unit with wet clothing in it?  This unit wont heat up till it senses the wet clothing

So yes I thought I tested with wet items in it, but I thought I would double check.  See below, I did make some progress checking this!

On 1/11/2021 at 4:42 AM, Vance R said:

Does your have the "third" thermostat at the front as in the video?

No, there's nothing inside.  If there is it's behind some plastic.

Presume the filter and the condenser are clean.

I thought I'd go and check these while I was testing with Isaac's suggestion and yes, both now clean.

Since this a dryer for Australia is the incoming voltage good? 

Haven't tested, but we are 240 here and everything else in the house works fine so I am assuming so.

At the moment suspect there is a control board issue or another thermostat open. Is there a wiring diagram or tech sheet inside the dryer?

Where do they normally put the tech sheets?  I haven't been able to find one yet.

However, when I was trying with a wet towel inside, I thought I would try ALL the programs on the dial, not just the one we actually use.  Had not tried this, and some of them worked!

The fixed timer one worked, but it appears none of the other are.  (Still testing as I type).  So as Vance said this could be control board, or possibly moisture sensor?  Any suggestions on how to test either?

15 hours ago, toadfish said:

The fixed timer one worked,

This kinda of very basic setting - the timer will turn on the heater, motor for whatever period of time that was selected. So now we know the dryer works. Just have to figuire out what is causing the issue in the auto settings.

Tech sheet is usually in an envelope tape to the cabinet under the top.

On 1/13/2021 at 11:51 AM, Vance R said:

Tech sheet is usually in an envelope tape to the cabinet under the top.

No tech sheet on the inside of any of the panels.  I am assuming there isn't one. :(

I found some exploded diagrams here:

https://www.appliancesupplies.com.au/m/electrolux/clothes-dryer/edc2086gdw-916097790-00

This lead me to another thermostat that's changing resistance when I wrap my hand around it to heat and then blowing on it to cool, so I think that is ok.

I also checked the "moisture sensor" which I now realise it just 2 pieces of metal.  It has a resistance when there is a damp item across the 2 pieces of metal, and obviously nothing when dry.  So I don't think it's that.

I guess I am now basically left with the logic board which is getting on for 1/3 of the price of the machine.  If I was 100% confident it was that then I might go for it.  As I am not 100% confident I am wondering whether it's financially viable thing to replace.

May want to replace the thermistors. The thermistor are supposed to be a certain resistance at a specific temperature. Without a spec sheet it would hard to know if they have drifted out of range.  You can ohm out the moisture sensor bars wire haness to the board to test for broken wires.