Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

KitchenAid KRSF505ESS00 broken wiring

CrazyCarl

I was at a clients house repairing a few broken wires down below the freezer door. I’ve done this repair several times on other refrigerators and most of the time the wiring just keeps on breaking. Either my repair breaks or (more often) the wires break in a different spot. Any tips on repairing these? So far I always tell the client that the best fix I can do is replace the door since all the wiring comes with a new door but you can’t get the wiring separately. Maybe just poor design on Whirlpool’s part

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CrazyCarl

• Josh Smith

• Bart56

Top Posters In This Topic

I've repaired this model's broken wiring and like you, it broke a year later in the original wires that I didn't touch. First time it was 5 wires. Next time it was 3 additional ones. The last time, my fixed wired were cracking in new places and only 2 or 3 wires were in tact.

My next attempt, I unplugged the wiring harness from te base of the fridge and closed the freezer door and was able to spend time stripping back the original plastic covering without taking any food out. I was feeling pretty clever about that.  Next, I added about 3 inches of new wire for all - I cut any that were still intact. It took a while but it made the harness 2 - 3 inches longer.  

I then covered it in some of that automotive style bendy tubing and shoved an inch of the covering into the freezer door, then leaving it free so that the whole thing moved through a modified clamp at the bottom of the fridge. I thought I was being real clever. This fix lasted almost 2 years when the owner called me to say they really don't need the Icemaker that bad. This was last summer (2020). Now when the whole control panel goes dead, they'll probably replace the fridge because the freezer door lists for around $1400 and the odds of the stainless looking different is likely pretty high.

Bottom line: Terrible design at the hinge point and really sub-quality insulation on the factory wires. If there was a plug at both ends of the harness, this would not be a problem - simply replace the harness.