LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Whats wrong with my boiler?

tomato source

tomato source

Hello.

My boiler a ideal response 120 combination boiler fitted with a digital timer.

Unlike many of the older boilers i have used this one doesnt have a visible pilot light and it auto ignites which im new to. If i get no hot water from the older boilers i used ill check the pilot light and 99% of the times its off so i re ignite it.

The new boiler instead has a light that lights up on boiler activity.

About a week ago i stopped getting hot water, this is not a problem yet but winter is comming. I dont know what caused it, it has been left alone so i havent been tampering with it. The water pressure in the boiler is nominal (1.5 mbr?). I cannot hear the thing hum when hot water is being used and the boiler light no longer lights. My gas applicances work perfectly. There is power to the thing because the power light is lit.

My simple understanding of this thing, somthings wrong.

Please help.

Thanks

David

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

its a posibility on these here new fangled energy savers that the system has went into vacation mode due to lack of usage. what do you think?

First off, what is a mbr? Seriously, you must be in the UK. The newer more efficient boilers I see here in the States have some type of electronic ignition , either hot surface (a silicon carbide ignitor glows red hot then the ctrl bd sends power to open the gas valve, a certain amount of time is given for flame to be proven in some way) or what is called intermittant (direct spark) where the ctrl bd will open the gas valve and send a high voltage spark usually to a pilot or less frequently to a main burner and again once a flame is proven, gas flow continues.

So, determine how your boiler works and see what is not happening. I find that the most common problem is a dirty flame sensor in models so equipped. They can be easily cleaned with clean emery cloth intended for use on metal, don't use sandpaper meant for wood.

• 2 weeks later...

I think he's from the UK from some of the terminology and the model he refers to. A combination boiler heats water for washing but also heats the water for radiant heat.  The key thing about it is that it heats the water on demand - there is no hot water tank.  This particular model is designed to deal with very high demands for hot water in fact but looking on some of the UK forums it does have its quirks (renowned for very noisy igniting and it sounds like the ignitor has a tendency to fail, plus this forum

http://www.gas-news.co.uk/discus/messages/18/745.html?1132190236

mentions that Ideal had put out some kind of modification for the thermostat on that boiler).  You might want to contact the manufacturer and see if you have a known issue that there is a recall for.

• 2 months later...

dgs (or anyone!)-  my combination boiler (Weil-McLain 68 model number P-368V-WT) had heat for the baseboard radiators but stopped producing hot water.  After I cleane dthe coil - we have plenty of hot water on demand, but the thermostat will not turn on the heat to the house - Help!  What did I screw up?

Archived