Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Begin your journey to appliance repair mastery…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
rockingkb

Asko dryer repair -- When to give up?

5 posts in this topic

Horror of horrors to read the bad words bespoke of Askos.  We have a full complement of them: dishwasher, washer, dryer.  All are vintage 1998. 

The Dryer compels me to write today.  The motor is shot.  (As well as a felt band and some little clips that attach it).  The motor is the big ticket item though.  To get all those parts sent to us would probably run $350 or more.  Especially after reading the disparaging comments on Askos, it makes wonder if the best course wouldn't be to just go out and get a new dryer.

One complicating factor if I choose to go out and get a new dryer -- The only way to plug the washer in is by going through the dryer.  We'd need to have additional electrical work done to plug it directly into the wall.  (I'm assuming here, but I could be wrong, that if we did go out and get a new dryer, we wouldn't be able to route the washer through it.)

So what say you: Repair or replace?

I kneel before you and await your wisdom and guidance.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

I would replace it with a nice Whirlpool dryer.  The money you save can get the circuit run for the washer.

Pegi speaks much wisdom.  Heed her.

Oh wise ones,

You have given me much-needed advice.  Do your recommendations hold true for the Whirpool Gold series?  The specs look good for the Resource saver, super capacity machine with optional TV/VCR and microwave oven.  (Model # GEW9878PW)  Yet, unnamed grasshoppers at epinions have wove tales of melted clothing and dread.  Are their experiences typical?  I wish not to walk that path.

Hmmmmm, the TV looks like a good option but not the MW.  This dryer has a control board and relays and stuff that will cause you to come here lots in the future to have us tell you what is wrong because it keeps shutting off or other strange things. Best thing about this dryer is it has the lint filter on the top.  How about a nice simple dryer without the control boad nightmare???