Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Help - Kenmore 795.74025.411 stopped making ice. Seems the whole refrigerator isn't cold enough?!

RoadsterJ

Hello.  I have a 5 year old Kenmore/LG 795.74025.411.   French door  - ice maker in the left door.  

It just stopped working.  The freezer itself is only 20F and the main refrigerator is about 50F!?!?   The water supply is good; the coils are clear and cleaned.  Ice maker is selected on from the inner control panel.  The inner ice maker chamber is only 30F.   water dispenser and ice dispenser works normally. (just no ice)

I started the ice maker test (small hole) and it cycled through; the "fingers" moving all the way around; water refilling mold.   Seems to reset itself to the starting point.  However, it has been almost 24 hours and no ice made.  The water has frozen and I pressed the test again - and it ejected the new ice and reset itself.. still just sits there.   

No error codes displayed on the temp readouts.   Is there a way to review the codes?

Seems like the whole system isn't cooling enough at all.  My 20 y/o refrigerator is purring away at 0 degrees freezer  and 33 in refrigerator!

What am I doing wrong?  What is the next step?   I feel the ice maker is working since the motor is turning the ejector teeth, and the water is flowing when called to refill the mold.  The water does freeze over time.    Is it because the refrigerator itself isn't cold enough to make ice?    How can I check for compressor issues? 

Thanks.    expecting it to die next. :( 

Ice maker won’t function at that temperature. You need to determine why it’s not cooling. 

unfornately they’ve had lots of trouble with those LG built Kenmore compressors. 

You may want to call a service technician. 

Edited by 16345Ed
  • Like 2

I have just read up and see there are many class action law suits against Kenmore and LG.  Geez.  

I just scheduled for sears to send their repair tech to diagnose the problem.   Still not cold.  50 degrees F in the refrigerator and maybe 20 in the freezer

Not sure if I want them to repair it and have it fail in 2 years... or what. 

Check your purchase date, sealed system has 5 year warranty on parts after 5 years just the compressor is covered for another 5 years. Labor is not coverd. This all based on original purchase date. 

3 hours ago, RoadsterJ said:

Not sure if I want them to repair it and have it fail in 2 years... or what. 

If it's a free repair (parts & labor) I'd let them do it. If it's going to cost you anything, I'd get rid of it.

• Like 1

Thanks.  I will know more soon.  I appreciate the input.  

What is a reliable French door style brand?  model?   Seems they are all dying around 5 years!  :(

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE

the technician came and diagnosed that the evaporator fan is dead and not circulating the cold air. 

Part ordered and he installed it today.  I am waiting for the freezer to get cold again to see if the problem is solved.

Late tonight- the freezer is back at 20F and the refrigerator is about 45.  Cold as it will get.  I have it set for 36F and freezer -1.

The fans aren't working to circulate anything.  The ice maker section has zero flow and is 55F.  

I opened the CPU panel on the back and put the system in test mode 1-  all panel lights are in test mode; the fans all run (freezer, refrigerator, and ice maker) - compressor running and condenser fan too.    No LED flashing on motherboard unit.   I unplug the refrigerator; and button up the back cover.   I let it sit for 10 min. 

Plug in and it is the same.  It clicks and seems normal at startup.  Compressor runs. No errors on front panel.  but still no fan circulation.  

Ideas?  Help!       

45 minutes ago, RoadsterJ said:

The fans aren't working to circulate anything

So the evaporator fans work during the Test Mode, but don't works during the Regular Mode. How did you determined that?

On some newer refrigerators when you open a door, the fan will automatically stop spinning. So you have to manually activate the Door Switch for the lights to turn off, and in about a minute the Evaporator Fan should start blowing again.

On this fridge you have to use a regular magnet to activate the door switch because there is no physical buttons to press on. Switches are located above each refrigerator door by the hinge. Have you tried that?

Thank you.  I was just researching about the magnet switching.  

When the test mode is activated - the fans run at high.  I can hear them hum outside when the doors are closed.  

In normal mode - it is quiet and the only sound is the compressor and the condenser fan.   The ice maker compartment is 45-55F.  I suspect it isn't getting any airflow ?

I will use my magnet to simulate the door closure and see if they do engage.  Thanks for the tip.  Anything else it could be?   During the test mode- the fans run well and do push out cold air.   No error codes on the front panel; no LED codes on the motherboard (no lights on).  

Magnet applied to simulate door closed.   fans do come on - lower speeds! :)  Just cool air.  50-54 deg from refrigerator vents in back of cabinet.    

Low refrigerant ?   not making it cold enough?     Condenser fins clean; condenser fan works.   frustrating.  

1 hour ago, RoadsterJ said:

Magnet applied to simulate door closed.   fans do come on - lower speeds! :)  Just cool air.  50-54 deg from refrigerator vents in back of cabinet.    

Low refrigerant ?   not making it cold enough?     Condenser fins clean; condenser fan works.   frustrating.  

If the air from the vent coming out at around 50°F, no matter how fast the fan spins, it's not going to get any cooler.

Have you checked the Evaporator Coil? If it's covered in a thick layer of frost and ice, you may have a defrost problem.

But if the coil has no frost at all, it could be a Sealed System issue... probably an inefficient LG compressor.

The service manual shows two variations of this refrigerator. If you have 2 evaporators (one in freezer and one in fridge), the 3-way valve (by the compressor) could be stuck open. So instead of cooling each compartment individually, both evaporators get inadequate amount of refrigerant at once. To check the 3-way valve, unplug your fridge from the wall, put your hand on the valve, plug the fridge, and you should be able to feel the valve vibrating while it's adjusting to the correct position.

• Like 1

I haven't pulled the back walls out yet.  the technician is returning tomorrow.  I will let him do that. :)  

I did check the 3 way valve.  It does vibrate and all during startup and a few minutes later.  Seems to be working.

I will see what he discovers.  When he removed the wall the other day, I didn't see any ice or frost... but I wasn't up close either ..lol

I still think it is an issue with insufficient refrigerant or weak compressor.. ?  Hoping for a warranty solution.

update -- technician tested a few things and determined to change out the compressor.  It is all charged up and running.  Lets see what happens tomorrow and beyond.  :)     Warranty replacement

7 minutes ago, RoadsterJ said:

:)     Warranty replacement

Good! Was it completely free, or you paid the labor cost?

I paid for the evaporator fan and labor originally;  and now a new drier.  Thats it.  

It took 2 days to get the freezer to 1'F and the ice maker is again making ice!  

Just an observation; but the refrigerator section can't get below 44'F.  It seems the compressor is always running, trying to make it happen? I set the temp to 44.. to give it a break.   Ill try tomorrow to see if it can coax it down.  I figured with a new compressor and refrigerant it would work amazing.    Would it ice up the refrigerator's evaporator coils?   

Its just not like it used to be.  

Temps should be 0 in the freezer and 38 in the refrigerator sections in about 24 hours. This does depend on how often each section doors are opened and closed.

Hi. thanks for the reply.  

It has been 3 days.  the freezer is at 0.  the refrigerator is about 44-46.  I have it set to 39. 

What else could it be that keeps it from cooling more?   The doors aren't opened that much.  

With your recent sealed system work done in mind i would check the frost pattern on the refrigerator evaporator.