Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Whirlpool Gas Dryer Model# LG7801XKC0 Classic having an electrical issue

pjjolly

I've got a Whirlpool Imperial Seventy gas dryer that came from my great-grandmother. This sucker is at least as old as I am and I love it but it's giving me fits right now. 

The dryer is causing sparks from normal outlet receptical and tripping replacement GFCI receptical when start button is pressed. Problem exists even with load taken off motor by removing belt.

The ground wire from the instrument panel to the top of the body of the dryer is burned on the ends. Also it looks like someone has stripped the insulation off a section of a wire that runs between the timer and the motor and attached that stripped section to the same screw that holds the panel end of the ground wire. I have no wiring schematic so I'm not sure exactly what the wire is for but it seems to be the only thing carrying current that could cause the burns on the ground wire. 

I initially had the theory that there was an internal issue with the motor causing excess draw. I disconnected the motor to test it on its own and it ran fine plugged into the GFCI outlet. It was pulling about 4A. 

The only other issue that may relate is that the buzzer hasn't worked very well for a while now. It's not very loud. The component itself works fine when power is applied directly to it but in the dryer circuit it is not sounding out.

I know this isn't much to work with and I'm sorry. I have lots of pictures and I've diagramed the wires to try to make sense of them since I don't have a schematic (I tried searching for one but got nothing, I'm thinking it might be too old for one to be around ??) but I'm sort of stuck regarding what my next step should be to test and isolate the issue. 

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If I can't get this fixed soon I'm afraid my wife will insist on getting rid of the dryer and buying a new one! Some people just can't appreciate a classic. 

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 16345Ed

• Trossbarco

• pjjolly

Top Posters In This Topic

Run the dryer on air dry. See if that still trips the GFCI. If it does then you can start with the loads and switches related to tumble. If it runs fine on air and trips with heat you can start your search there. There is likely a burnt or broken wire somewhere, just need to find it. With a machine this old I caution customers having electrical issues. The harness and connectors get brittle with use and age. Just taking it apart you are likely to cause damage. It may be time to move on.