Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

GE Profile , Fridge way to cold.

Anthonystall

Anthonystall

Hello , I am trying to troubleshoot a GE Profile french door refrigerator Model # PFS22MISBWW  SER NO. RL051019 with bottom freezer issue. The freezer is staying at 0 deg but the refrigerator is staying at 22 deg.  Last week the refrigerator and freezer would not cool below 50 Deg and I had a tech come out and he replaced the compressor relay and that solved the issue with it not being cold enough but now I need help in figuring out why its to cold. 

If you had a bad relay there would have been no cooling at all. Compressor can’t run with bad relay. 

Too cold in  Fresh Food section you need to start by testing thermistors. Then damper. 

• Like 1

@16345Ed  You may have missed this part

17 hours ago, Anthonystall said:

Last week the refrigerator and freezer would not cool below 50 Deg and I had a tech come out and he replaced the compressor relay

This one uses the TSD style  start relay and it can head fake you that way.  The actual running of the compressor for 10 to 15 seconds every 3 to 5 minutes does create a slight amount of cooling.

@Anthonystall Did you neglect to inform the tech that fixed the relay about the prior freezing/too cold in refrig section?

It might have been a little more difficult at the time since both section where warm when he came to fix it but he could have at minimum checked the thermistors at the current warm temp to see if they were at least in spec at the current warm temp.

Edited by Budget Appliance Repair
ADDED: TSD relay info
  • Like 1

Anthonystall
On 7/16/2021 at 2:05 PM, 16345Ed said:

If you had a bad relay there would have been no cooling at all. Compressor can’t run with bad relay. 

Too cold in  Fresh Food section you need to start by testing thermistors. Then damper. 

Before the tech showed up I removed the relay and tested for continuity and then he used his own meter to confirm the relay was bad. 

Anthonystall
On 7/17/2021 at 6:34 AM, Budget Appliance Repair said:

@16345Ed  You may have missed this part

This one uses the TSD style  start relay and it can head fake you that way.  The actual running of the compressor for 10 to 15 seconds every 3 to 5 minutes does create a slight amount of cooling.

@Anthonystall Did you neglect to inform the tech that fixed the relay about the prior freezing/too cold in refrig section?

It might have been a little more difficult at the time since both section where warm when he came to fix it but he could have at minimum checked the thermistors at the current warm temp to see if they were at least in spec at the current warm temp.

Before the technician showed up the only problem was the compressor was not running, I agree he could have checked the thermistors before he left but in his defense he was confident he solved the problem .  

Anthonystall

Well, I had the technician come back and he tested the temperature sensor and thermistors and still cannot figure out why the refrigerator is still not getting above 22 deg. He unplugged the fridge and visually verified the door is opening between the freezer and fresh food section when the unit starts back up ( I dont have the proper name for that part) . The tech called me back and said he talked to GE technical support and they are advising replacing the control board at a cost of $450 . So now I have a couple questions  1 . Is there anyway to troubleshoot that this board is malfunctioning? 2. Can the board be repaired? 3. Could someone help with a price check on this part. Model # PF22MISBWW.  SER NO. RL051019  GE Profile .  I cannot help but thinking the tech is out of ideas and just due to lack of other options deciding to replace the main control board. 

54 minutes ago, Anthonystall said:

He unplugged the fridge and visually verified the door is opening between the freezer and fresh food section when the unit starts back up

This is the damper. With fresh food section too cold as you report the test should be to see if it closes. 

So if thermistors test good(at two temperatures) and damper opens and closes in test mode then you could point to board being at fault. 

Anthonystall
Just now, 16345Ed said:

This is the damper. With fresh food section too cold as you report the test should be to see if it closes. 

So if thermistors test good(at two temperatures) and damper opens and closes in test mode then you could point to board being at fault. 

I was not home when the tech tested the thermistors so I do not know if he tested at two temperatures but I will assume he did. I do recall that he said the damper started to close when he powered the fridge back up. 

Thanks Ed 

• 2 weeks later...
Anthonystall

The repair technician came back and after some testing he called GE they advised changing the board. I ordered one from ebay and put it in myself ,it was an exact fit but the refrigerator is still staying exactly 25deg. I am at a loss and am going to have to scrap it if I cannot figure this out. 

Anthonystall

Problem solved, there was a small screw obstructing the dampner I removed it and now the fridge is working fine. I appreciate those who helped me.