Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological. 
      We have a special session planned for this one. Instead of the usual Show 'n Tell on a technical topic, we're going to post tech sheets in the comments to this Calendar Event (scroll down to see what's posted so far) and ask specific questions that can only be answered by reading the tech sheet. If you at least try to answer the questions beforehand, you'll get a lot more out of it. The tech sheet and the questions are posted in the comments section below.
      Your mission, if you should choose to accept it, is to check out the questions for each one and try to answer them ahead of time. Then come to the Dojo to see how well you did! 
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Model #WRT318FZDW06 Whirlpool refrigerator - freezer not freezing

1711ts

We bought this Whirlpool fridge about 6 weeks ago. Just the last couple days the ice has not been staying frozen.

Things I have checked so far:

Compressor is warm and vibrating.

Condenser fan is running.

Start relay checked good with a multi meter.

Fans are blowing cold air into the fridge AND freezer.

When clicking through fridge temperature display, I hear a click and it turns on/off when necessary. It DOES NOT do this when changing the freezer temp. 

Any suggestions on what to do/check next?

Thanks,

Tyler

Take an amps reading on the compressor and compare it to the tech sheet. 
try to take a full picture of the evaporator coils. 
that frost only on that part of the coils might be a leak. 
Take a temperature reading of the compartments too 

Only 6 weeks old and already out of refrigerant - I would take it back and make the store give you a replacement.

Unacceptable to have a sealed system leak on a 6 week old unit!!!!

We have our shop just about filled with Whirlpool top freezers that need an evaporators. If you bought it new, take it back.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/1/2021 at 10:12 AM, Scottekarate said:

We have our shop just about filled with Whirlpool top freezers that need an evaporators. If you bought it new, take it back.

I’ve recently retired from the trade, and therefore not current with failure trends that are below the ‘service bulletin’ radar. Are you saying your seeing high failure rate of Whirlpool WRT314 - WRT318 top mount refrigerators? Had a friend come me about their leaker (WRT314FTOB00). They wonder if they should avoid buying the same one again? Is Whirlpool having a bad run on this unit?

On 9/1/2021 at 2:44 PM, howdryiam said:

I’ve recently retired from the trade, and therefore not current with failure trends that are below the ‘service bulletin’ radar. Are you saying your seeing high failure rate of Whirlpool WRT314 - WRT318 top mount refrigerators? Had a friend come me about their leaker (WRT314FTOB00). They wonder if they should avoid buying the same one again? Is Whirlpool having a bad run on this unit?

@howdryiam we've got them repaired mostly now, but yes, it was those model numbers. I've heard the other three techs complain endlessly about them.

• Like 1