LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Speedqueen Washer (AWN412SP111TW01) - hot water trickling out when filling

steve_d

Hi,

The hot water is barely coming out when the water is filling. I removed the hose and checked the screens. Not too bad. I cleaned them up. Didn't make a difference. Water pressure is fine and hose is not clogged.

I think I need to test the water inlet valve for continuity and replace if bad.

Question:  Can the water inlet valve be removed from the back of the machine without getting into the inside of the cabinet? Looks like it should be serviceable from the back.

I haven't been able to find any videos on this.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Steve

pic1.jpg

Since I didn't get any responses, I did the following:

1. Unplugged the power cord and turned off the water to the machine.

2. Removed the inlet hoses from the machine.

3. Removed the screw holding the plate in place.

4. Pulled the metal plate out.

5. I was able to test continuity on the hot and cold parts of the valve and they showed the same.

6. I cleaned the screen again on the hot side.

7. Put it all back in place

8. The hot may be a little better but still trickles out compared to the cold. Maybe it's supposed to be like this?

To answer my original question, the inlet valve is totally serviceable from the back of the machine. That's good.

The valve is fairly cheap so I may just replace it. I have well water and the screen in the valve is brown and not totally clear.

If I replace it, I will update this post.

Did you check the hose at the faucet end to make sure they don't have screen washers that maybe plugged up, (You either have just a standard hose washer like at the valve end or you may have hose washers with a screen at the faucet end).

Hi Willie,

There are screens at the faucet end of the hoses. They weren't clogged but I cleaned them up anyway. I then disconnected the hoses from the washer and put them in the tub and turned the water on at the faucets. The water came out of the hoses very strong. 

I created a video to upload but it's too large. I uploaded a pic to show what the hot water looks like coming out.

Steve

pic3.jpg

after doing what you have done , clean the screens on the valve  going into the washer , if the pressure was very strong and cleaning all the screens doesn't help you will need a valve.

• Like 1

did the hot and cold have equal pressure when you ran the the water from the hoses to the tub ?

Yes - they both had good pressure coming out.

Any recommendation on how to clean the screens? I jammed some steel wool into the outlets and turned many times back and forth and I think it helped some but not enough.

Maybe I'll just replace the valve. Not very expensive.

Thanks

47 minutes ago, steve_d said:

Maybe I'll just replace the valve. Not very expensive

at this point that would be the thing to do :)

How long have you had this washer or is it relatively new to you and you perceive this to be a problem.

Not sure about Speed Queen but I know on the Whirlpools the hot side of the valve is regulated down so that on WARM water settings there is less hot going in then cold to save energy and meet the government energy guide lines.

If you've had it for awhile and have seen the hot going in at the same rate as cold in the past then I would suggest to replace the valve.

• Like 1

It's 8 years old. Been a great washing machine. I just noticed it this week. Never looked at it before so I have nothing to compare it to. Maybe it's always been like this.