Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

GE oven - calling GE service a mistake

mmorgan101

I have a GE double wall oven that is 14 years old. My top oven went on the blink - sometimes the baking element would work and sometimes it wouldn't.  The broiler continued to work - it was just the baking element that didn't work.  I had the GE serviceman out to fix the oven and first he said it was the control panel - but that part has been discontinued and he said I would have to purchase a new oven.  I then asked him if he had checked out the baking element (he hadn't thought of that).  He took the element out of the oven but in the process broke off the wire terminal inside the back of the oven.  He then said it was the baking element and proceeded to order a new one.  After that, he begin trying to fix the broken wire terminal.  At that point, I realized he was just trying to stay here as long as he possibly could.  Talking about slow!!  I told him to just leave it since it didn't work anyway.  It took him another 30 minutes before he left.  He was here a total of 1.50 hours and now I cannot even use the broiler or the lower oven which worked before he came here. I will not let him back in my house to fix the oven.  I am going to try to fix it myself.  I will get a ohm meter tomorrow to see if the baking element is at fault.  Where do I find a wire terminal?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Team Samurai

Wow! That's a pretty good (but in a bad way) appliance war story! I hope you didn't pay doofuss anything. I'm sure you can fix this yourself. Any good hardware store should have terminals. Just match if the size and kind with the other one; usually you can buy them in a mixed box set, very inexpensive. You'll also need wire strippers and crimpers, again not much money. Some pictures of wiring and wiring tools here: All Kinda Wire Terminals

Only thing you might run into is that you may not have much slack in the wire to d the repair. If so, then things get interesting. But we'll cross that bridge when you get to it.

Before you start poking around in there, be sure to kill power to the wall oven first!

"sometimes the baking element would work and sometimes it wouldn't"

There is almost zero chance that the element was the original problem. Heat elements have no moving parts, they are either good or bad, no middle ground.

The most likey problem is the relay on the control board. He shouldn't have messed with the element at all, if it worked once while testing, he had his proof it was good.

He was only ordering the element because he broke it, and his faulty logic has left him obligated to try a new element. After he puts it in, you'll still have the original problem.

I thought GE guys got good training, maybe not.

Nick

• Team Samurai

[user=425]nickfixit[/user] wrote:

I thought GE guys got good training, maybe not.

I'm wondering if he was GE factory service (wore a GE uniform and are factory trained) or was simply GE "authorized," i.e., an independent who signed a sucker's contract to do GE's warranty work for some ridiculously low fee... and no training.

He was GE service through GE, drove a GE van.  He hasn't charged me anything yet but I will contest any charges with GE.  I just got back from Home Depot with the testing meter to test the baking element and will post the results.

I tested the baking element and it appears to be good so it looks like I will be looking for a new oven.  GE no longer makes the control panel for this oven.  I appreciate your help.

Archived