Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Whirlpool Gas Oven Mod. WFG510S0AS2, Ser. R44373042 Oven & Broiler NF

BSers

Greetings, Gurus,

Over the last six months or so, the oven has randomly taken between 2 and 10 attempts to turn on and heat up.  Now we're getting nuthin.  Broiler same way.  No life signs or sounds, no click, no whoosh, no gas smell.  Stovetop igniters work fine.  Incidentally, back when it did work, it wouldn't let us decrease the oven temp from the default 350...though it did let us increase the temp.

I'm thinking control board?  Can someone confirm before I plunk down the big bux (and where's the most economical parts source?  Quick search turned up $560...jeezus)

What's the warranty on Whirlpool?  We bought this stove in 2018.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom!

Cheers,
Geoff

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BSers

• Vance R

Slight correction on my "no life signs" statement: actually, when you press Start you do hear a small "click" from the control panel itself, but nothing down below.

This range has a separate spark module for the oven.  Since bake and broil are having issues need to check for voltage at dsi board ( range spark module).  Check for 120 vac at J1-6  to J1-4 for bake and J1-7 to J1-4 for broil.

3 hours ago, BSers said:

What does that tell me?

That the main board is sending power to the oven spark module and rules out the main board as a problem for oven ignition. 

Next watch the ignitor electrodes to see if they arc when first calling for heat. Should be 2 or 3 arcs. If no arc, ohm out the gas valve from the spark module  J1 pins 1 to 2 and 2 to 3, should be around 216 ohms. If there is an open coil move down to the valve and repeat the ohm test. 

Took me a day to scare up a digital meter (did the first test with a simple on-off tester).

Ohm test:

No arcs in either Bake or Broil

J1-2 192.8 ohms

J2-3 174.1 ohms

When you say "open coil", do you mean complete ("1") resistance?  If so, I guess getting the above figures means we don't have an open coil, right?  What does it mean that we're getting lower ohm numbers than you specified?

Standing by for interp and next steps.

Thanks Vance,

Geoff

3 hours ago, BSers said:

When you say "open coil", do you mean complete ("1") resistance? 

or OL depending on your meter. Basically whatever the meter show when the probes are not touch anything.

3 hours ago, BSers said:

If so, I guess getting the above figures means we don't have an open coil, right?  What does it mean that we're getting lower ohm numbers than you specified?

The spec is 216 ohm plus or minus 30 ohms. so we are close in values, 174.1 is low, but i would think it should still try to arc.

Next need to verify proper polarity and ground at the outlet. 

DSI ignition use the chassis to complete the return path of the high voltage arc. Remove the module to inspect the grounding pad is clean and reinstall making sure that screw is tight. The burner tube usually require cleaning at the grounding location use emery cloth to clean the tube and cabinet. Same drill as the module, mounting screw needs to be tight.

Then you can check for dc voltage at the coils at start of ignition. Should be 8 to18 volts dc for at least moment

Okay, we're getting into some territory exceeding my understanding...this "module"...is that the entire circuit board with the J-series spark circuits?  Or a different item?  Are the "grounding locations" of the burner tube what's identified as Parts #21 on the exploded view? https://www.fix.com/models/range/whirlpool/id876657/wfg510s0as2/section7178714/manifold-parts/

So, what would make both the bake and the broil cease to light concurrently?  Or is it just coincidence?

Thanks for your patience with a layman.  I know just enough about this stuff to be dangerous...

26 minutes ago, BSers said:

this "module"...is that the entire circuit board with the J-series spark circuits?  Or a different item? 

Referring to the parts diagram,  item #5 and where you made your measurement of J4 pins. 

27 minutes ago, BSers said:

Are the "grounding locations" of the burner tube

Basically this where the burner tubes are mounted to the chassis with screws. connection have to be clean and tight

32 minutes ago, BSers said:

So, what would make both the bake and the broil cease to light concurrently?  Or is it just coincidence?

At the moment no idea.

Voila!  Must have been surface corrosion on the circuit board ground plate, though it sure looked shiny and pristine pre-sanding.  What confused me about the "module" term is that the diagram calls both #5 and #15 "modules", yet I couldn't see any part in there that looked like #15.  Both oven and broiler fire up fine now, with 4 tests apiece.

I still have the separate problem of not being able to toggle the oven temp down from the default 350, but the plenum in the "down" button doesn't feel right (no click), so I'm thinking it would take wholesale replacement of the control board, which isn't maybe worth it for the price.  I think we'll live with 350+ on the oven.

Thanks, Vance.  Appreciate you hangin' in there with me.