Click here to check out our on-demand appliance repair training webinars.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

themostat power dead

Swenny

My furnace and air went dead. 

Started troubleshooting by checking voltages at the thermostat, none.  My transformer produces 17 volts but it's not getting to the thermostat.  I trace the wire from the 24v transformer out to what I think leads to the outside compressor unit.  There I find the 220 volt box and a 110 volt romex line into the compressor but I see no 24guage thermostat wire there.  The 220 fuse all check out.

So what happened to my 24 volt therm voltage.  I believe it's suppose to route from the 24v trans to the air compressor unit? then back up to the thermostat.

This is a 20year old GE furnace and air unit. Probably due to be replaced but I can't afford it just yet so I'm trying to milk a few more years from this equipment.  I replaced the fan limit switch last year.

Any help would be appreciated.

Swenny

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To make it easier to explain tell me what color wires you have at the thermostat and what terminals are they connected to. Such as terminal 'r' is red, 'w' is white, 'g' is green, and 'y' is yellow (these would be typical) - I am guessing the romex line is not 110v because there is no need to run 220v and 110v to the condenser (outside unit)

thanks for the reply.  I have a honeywell ct87b therm unit.  Wires are connected as follows.

Red---Rh

green--G

Blue--Y

White--W

Problem solved.  It was the 24v transformer, primary side was open. replaced with generic type and now all ok.

I was confused at first because I mistakenly thought another 24v transformer in the furnace room was the culprit. It ran to the door bell, not the thermostat.  The problem one was located inside the furnace and hard to get at.  Once I traced the wires it became clear.

I could have figured this out sooner but I have no schematic of my unit.

Thanks for your help.

Swenny

Archived