Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Whirlpool SXS wrs537siam01 Ice Maker

ChrisY

Hello,

Was wondering if anyone has had this issue... I have a Whirlpool SXS that is not dispensing ice.  It was working, and then suddenly stopped.  I have searched and tried numerous t/s steps so I will try to list below, as brief as possible.

-The icemaker mold is dry.  However, the refrigerator still dispenses water ok.  

-I have checked the tubes, no ice buildup.  I have removed the tube at the dual water solenoid valve, and blew towards the ice maker and you could hear air at the ice maker water inlet tube.  Also, when removing the ice maker water supply tube, there was no water that came out, it was dry at the solenoid.  Alternatively, when I removed the water dispenser tube, there was residual water that came out.

-I haven't heard the ice maker solenoid actuate, at all.  I hear the water dispenser just fine.  So, in a hunch, I ordered and replaced the dual solenoid water valve(the combo one with one for the ice maker and one for the water dispenser).  Changed and water dispenser is fine still, but no ice maker.

-I removed the ice maker shielding and did the test; where I jumpered T and H on the ice maker.  That worked fine.  The ice maker wheel started rotating and went through the cycle.  I could hear clicking and internal switches actuating.  However, at the end, no water was dispensed from the water tube into the mold.  

-I checked the door switch(the one for the ice maker) for continuity, and it works fine.  And, I did hold the switch while doing the manual test.

-So, I jumpered the L and V test points which is supposed to actuate the water solenoid, but nothing came out of the water tube and I heard no solenoid actuate.  

If anyone has any ideas on a next COA, that would be great, thanks.

Chris

This is one of the models that breaks the wires at the bottom of the freezer door. Remove the hard plastic sleeve over the wire bundle and check for broken wires.  BTW don't use L to V to power the water solenoid use H to V.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Vance,

Looks like you were right about the wires.  After cutting away the sheath, there were two broken wires.  Once repaired, looks like it is making ice now.  Would have never just done that, so thanks.

Chris

• 1 year later...
On 1/20/2022 at 10:46 PM, Vance R said:

BTW don't use L to V to power the water solenoid use H to V.

Hi Vance, could you share why it's better to jump H to V for the water valve instead of L to V?

Thank you.

Normally the voltage to the water valve in a modular ice maker goes through the heater so the valve only get about 100 vac not the full 120 vac. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1