LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Should a new fridge make this sound? LG LTCS20020S

aldel

VIdeo with sound: 

This is a brand new LG fridge with "LoDecibel", delivered a month ago. Since we got it, it has made this sound whenever the compressor is running.

It doesn't seem all that loud when you get close to the compressor. As you can tell from the video, it sounds like an electric bell, and it's clearly something rattling the top of the compressor. 

Unfortunately the sound really carries. I can clearly hear it in my living room and in my home office (there are no closed doors between there and the kitchen, but not direct line of sight either). From there, the individual "dings" aren't very audible, and it's more of a continuous whistling sound. I find it very annoying.

LG sent out a tech, and he said it was normal, or "within the expected variation". Or possibly just that the *level* of sound was normal; I'm not clear on whether the *kind* of sound is supposed to be normal. We had a bit of trouble communicating. He said something to the effect that a different compressor might be quieter, or might be louder. I wish I had insisted that he replace it and find out.

I'm pretty annoyed, because one of the main reasons we chose this fridge is that it's advertised as being quiet. I feel like, to human ears, it's subjectively louder than most other fridges I've had.

Should it be making this type of sound? Can anyone explain why it happens? What are the odds that it would be fixed if I managed to get them to replace the compressor?

Is there anything else I could do? I'm tempted to try some acoustic engineering on it, but I'm worried about trapping heat (all sound-insulating materials are also good heat insulators). The best I could do is probably line the fridge's alcove with sound-absorbing materials to prevent the sound from reflecting out into the room. Or maybe I could attach something to the compressor itself to dampen it the same way my hand does in the video, but that seems kind of dangerous and would probably void the warranty.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aldel

• Vance R

• vee8power

Not sure about the r600 compressors, but there are usually sound damping pads stuck on the compressor shell to dampen noises.

• Like 1

I'm think of these, couldn't find the LG ones, but the frigidaire one are similar:

Sound Dampening Pad 5303307583