Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Samsun touch panel and ice shute problem

Geo

Hi,

I have Samsun fridge model RF28K9380SR/AA (28 cu. ft. Food Showcase 4-Door Flex™ Refrigerator with FlexZone™).

About 2 weeks ago, it started acting strange. At first, when I open the left top door, the ice make flap would start opening and closing. A few days afterward, the flap started opening and closing all the time, even when the doors were all closed. Right afterwards, the panel went completely blank. "Restarting" the fridge did not work (disconnect from power and connect later).

I read that the issue might be a faulty switch in the motor, or a failed panel. I got both new parts, and replaced them myself. However, the same issue is happening: the panel did not light up, the flap is closing and opening. Even when I disconnect the panel, the flap continues to open/close.

I found a post on your website that the issue might be the input into the panel, rather than a faulty panel itself. I was wondering if anyone have experienced repairing these fridges, and indeed confirmed there is an incoming signal issue (due to short or other problem). I do not see where the short might be, and replacing the whole door does not seem like a good idea. How do we know that the short is in the door and not before it, somewhere on the back panel / compressor or other part of the wiring?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Georgiy

EngineeredAppliance

I would suggest hiring a technician to troubleshoot this issue. As you will need to consult a wiring schematic to trace the issue. It also has nothing to do with the compressor. Majority of the time it is the User Interface board. You could attempt to check your microswitch(s) for the dispenser paddle to make sure the mounting isn’t faulty. Also check the microswitch itself for clean breaks of continutity and no switch bounce. (If your meter is quick enough to catch it typically requires a scope.)

If you wanted to measure for a short or intermittent signal you would check on the schematic. Locate the signal wire for the dispenser and measure it on the main control board as you depress the switch between cube and water mode. You would inspect your harness and connections. You could also have an issue with your main control board. There is no clear cut answer (just go buy this) This will take care observation and the use of a multimeter and schematic. 

• Like 1