Click here to check out this guide.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Which Washer Should You Buy?

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Whirlpool Duet warning. If you have kids, or you are not the only person doing the wash, or if your just not perfect and leave something in your pockets once in a while, see my post on the Duet titled "What's your take? under the laundry section"

I have learned, the hard way, that small articles ( coins, buttons, pens etc..) are able to get past the seal and in between the inner and outer drum. If you are lucky, it may just go out the hose on the bottom and not be a problem. If you are not lucky, i.e. me, the item becomes wedged between the metal inner drum and plastic outer drum. At 1000 RPMs something is going to give... most likely the outer drum. Water Water everywhere, not a drop to drink.

I am not saying that the washer is not a good washer, I am just posting what happened to me. The jury is still out on how much this is going to cost me, Could be as much as $700 ($400 for the part and $250 min for labor.

Thats a lot to add on to the $900 price of the washer. If it happened once, it could happen again.;)

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[user=31438]Camper[/user] wrote:

Whirlpool Duet warning. If you have kids, or you are not the only person doing the wash, or if your just not perfect and leave something in your pockets once in a while, see my post on the Duet titled "What's your take? under the laundry section"

I have learned, the hard way, that small articles ( coins, buttons, pens etc..) are able to get past the seal and in between the inner and outer drum. If you are lucky, it may just go out the hose on the bottom and not be a problem. If you are not lucky, i.e. me, the item becomes wedged between the metal inner drum and plastic outer drum. At 1000 RPMs something is going to give... most likely the outer drum. Water Water everywhere, not a drop to drink.

I am not saying that the washer is not a good washer, I am just posting what happened to me. The jury is still out on how much this is going to cost me, Could be as much as $700 ($400 for the part and $250 min for labor.

Thats a lot to add on to the $900 price of the washer. If it happened once, it could happen again.;)

I assure you that that issue is not exclusive to the Whirlpool frontloaders.  It's not the machines fault.

As I said; "I am not saying that the washer is not a good washer, I am just posting what happened to me."

Right now, the front loader does not seem that "green" to me. Unless you have never found anything, in the washer,that was left in your pockets, or you don't have kids or teens that might do their own wash and leave something in their pockets, a top loader might be the better alternative. ;)

I thought I'd give y'all an update.  Took the washing expert out to see what she liked.  "We" ended up with the LG washer and dryer.  We got the larger capacity of both.  I think what really made the deal was that here, Best Buy and Home Depot had the best prices, and they each have the "best price guarantee", so it came down to the extended warranty.  Best buy only had a 3 year, and the Depot has a 4 year, and they were the same price, and the delivery had a rebate from the Depot.  Besides that, the Depot doesn't carry Duets.  Well, just thought I'd give some feed back, and thank you all again for your thoughts, and helping me with this decision.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Folks...

Need some help selecting a washer/dryer.

We had a whirlpool-made Kenmore pair for years, and they worked well. Unfortunately, when we moved we had to leave them behind in Georgia (long story). The house we're in now came with Kenmore brand w/d (I haven't checked model #'s for manuf. yet), but we're seriously considering purchasing our own now that we have some spare money.

Kemore has been good to us, but I really hate dealing with Sear's.  Whirlpool seems to be the best bang for the buck...

Here's what we're looking for.

Energy efficiency.

Water efficiency if possible.

Front loading is okay, but top loading is (much) less expensive.

Must be built to last.

Doesn't need a lot of options.  Honestly we have a couple of the simplest machines out there right now, and that suits us fine.

Suggestions?

We'd like to be in a front loading w and a dryer for less than $1,000usd.  I don't know if that's possible, though.

Thanks!

-Eric

It's not possible to buy a Whirlpool FRONT load washer AND a dryer for less than $1,000.00

Perhaps if you want to spend under $1,000.00 for BOTH a washer and a dryer, go with a Whirlpool TOP load washer and a Whirlpool dryer.

As far as other brands, forget about it, you might as well hire a live-in repairman.

Okay. As someone who actually takes phone calls from consumer's who are SCREAMING about issues with their appliances...I would actually recommend the less expensive Roper Machines.

No, there aren't any "bells & whistles" on these, but there is much less that can go wrong with them. I have a husband in the construction/remodelling business, and a boy-child-man who also works construction & is into "Extreme" sports.

We purchased our Roper pair 8 years ago, and have never needed any repair, despite the fact that my husband leaves all kinds of hardware (screws, nails, bolts) and cigarette butts in his pockets. I often fish several dollars worth of change out of the bottom of the tub, but I have never had a pump or draining problem with the washer.

He also works with epoxy resins, which have a tendency to create permanent knee & elbow pads on his clothing. I have retrieved shredded paper towels, cat hair, and God knows what else from the washer tub, again, have never needed a repair.

These machines cost us under $500 for the pair back in the when; today's models will run you somewhere between $600 & $650 for the washer AND dryer.

Note for the Intrepid Appliance Shopper: These low-end washers do advertise 2 temperature settings...these are WARM and COLD.  I have done just fine shutting off the cold water feed & filling the unit for a hot water wash that way (we only do 1 or 2 loads of whites per week); because these machines do NOT have a fancy-schmancy Automatic Temperature Control valve, it's not an issue. 

Have had a lot of complaints from consumer's about the ATC on the Duet and Cabrio models because they don't "feel" that the fill temps are what they think they should be.  What they don't understand is that the fancier machines "decide" water temp depending on fabric settings, load size, etc.

And in all of my time in "the biz" I have had to schedule 2 - count 'em - 2! repairs on Roper Washers, and in only one case was it under first-year warranty...the other call was for a 6 year old machine.

As to Energy Efficiency? They are not Energy Star rated. We have gas heat in our home, everything else electric (including water heater), and my power bill has never been more than $40 per month, so it can't be using that much juice!

Anyway, IMHO, these machines aren't upscale but you'll get a lot of use out of them. Mine have been taking a beating forever, and still do the job just fine.

:cheers:

Forgot to mention...Roper is manufactured by Whirlpool, for those of you not "in the know".

[user=34529]Robin the Hood[/user] wrote:

... These low-end washers do advertise 2 temperature settings...these are WARM and COLD...

If you have a laundry tub with a "spout",  connect the COLD Hose to that spout and adjust the temperature to "whatever" (leave the water turned ON)

• 1 month later...

Hi folks,

My wife and I are looking for a washer/dryer recommendation.

The tricky thing for us is that the washer will be on the right, and the dryer will be on the left.

So, we are basically limited to a top-loader, unless someone knows of (and would recommend) any reasonably-priced front-loading washers with a hinge on the right. (I think the Miele opens the right way, but it's a little too pricey for me.)

I am intrigued by the idea of the Staber, but I'm not particularly handy, a little concerned about the wait times, and again, not sure about the price.

I can get pretty good deals on Whirlpool-made products, so I'm leaning somewhat in that direction.

I was curious about the Cabrio and how that is turning out. It's been on the market for a while, but I haven't seen too much feedback overall.

My next choice would be one of the Whirlpool direct drive washers that I have seen recommended, but I'm not even sure if I am interpreting what people are saying and translating that into a model number. Is something like this ok? WTW57ESVW

I'd appreciate any feedback that anyone has to offer.

Thanks!

Is there any particular reason for the washer on the right side ?

[user=3641]RegUS_PatOff[/user] wrote:

Is there any particular reason for the washer on the right side ?

It's a new construction in a development of tract homes, and our floorplan is "reversed". So, the builder put the water hookups and the floor drain on the right side, the gas and the vent on the left. Grrrrr.

or long Washer Hoses and Dryer Vent

or is there room to put them on the right, but stacked ?

I don't think they could squeeze under the cabinetry if they were stacked. Plus, my wife might have a hard time reaching up to load and unload.

Any Whirlpool/Maytag top load direct drive washer and a dryer with the drop down door would work fine, and the duet front load sets the doors can be reversed...

[user=533]Pegi[/user] wrote:

... the duet front load sets the doors can be reversed...

only on the Dryer (as most brands), but not on the Washer.

[user=533]Pegi[/user] wrote:

Any Whirlpool/Maytag top load direct drive washer and a dryer with the drop down door would work fine, and the duet front load sets the doors can be reversed...

Sorry for my ignorance, but is there any way to translate this into a model number that I could purchase? For example, I am considering this:

Whirlpool WTW57ESVW - 4.0 Cu. Ft. (IEC 486) Super Capacity Plus Washer ENERGY STAR® Qualified.

The odd thing is that it says 4.0 Cu. Ft. in the description, but the specifications show Super Capacity Plus, which I think is 3.5 Cu. Ft.

Anyway, any thoughts on this particular model? It uses Auto Load Sensing with Triple Spray Technology (TST) - is that a good thing or not?

I was also considering this:

Whirlpool WTW5300VW - 3.5 Cu. Ft. Super Capacity Plus Washer

This looks less fancy, but may or may not be slightly smaller.

Finally, I'm still curious about the Cabrio. I owned a Calypso and was plagued with computer problems, but if the Cabrio works well and is reliable, I like the capacity and the high efficiency.

Thanks for your feedback!

That's your basic, average, everyday, dime a dozen, run of the mill, seen one you've seen em all, top load Whirlpool washers. 

A good, solid unit.  Whirlpool's been utilizing that same design for decades now.  That in itself tells you that it's a winner.

You won't go wrong with that model.

WTW57ESVW

This is a new Whirly DD model that has automatic water level sensing.  There is no selectable water level control.  The latest Kenmore 800 is its sibling.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been looking at lots of Front Loaders for the last week and am now completely confused. Maybe someone here can help me see the light?

I've noticed that when I reach in the door and push on the drum, some are rock solid steady, some drums move back and forth a little bit, and some have a large amount of play where it makes me wonder how long the drum will stay attached. Not talking about it going roundandround like when washing clothes, but loosey-goosey like it was attached to the cabinet with some kind of spring design. Comments on which is the better design?

Also, do the roller-balls set into the drum and "special" spray jets add much value? My gut feeling is that it's just shiney flashing stuff designed to snare a buyer.

I can't say for sure... but if you post some model numbers, we could link you to some parts diagrams that may show you how the suspension system works.

Perhaps some of the front loads in show rooms still have shipping bolts  , while some have them removed.  The clothes get clean by rubbing against each other and the drum. Having spray arms on the drum does not get me exited at all.:soapbox:

Archived