Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological. 
      We have a special session planned for this one. Instead of the usual Show 'n Tell on a technical topic, we're going to post tech sheets in the comments to this Calendar Event (scroll down to see what's posted so far) and ask specific questions that can only be answered by reading the tech sheet. If you at least try to answer the questions beforehand, you'll get a lot more out of it. The tech sheet and the questions are posted in the comments section below.
      Your mission, if you should choose to accept it, is to check out the questions for each one and try to answer them ahead of time. Then come to the Dojo to see how well you did! 
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Whirlpool electric Dryer won't start

KGF

My Whirlpool electric dryer will not start.  I set the timer and pressed the button, and nothing happens.  The barrel does not spin, the fan does not blow - it's completely dead. I've checked the 220v circuit breaker (it's hardwired).  Last week for the first time the dryer was running but stopped for no apparent reason, I pushed the button and it started again, so I guess that was my warning that this was coming.

My general question of course is "why", but my specific question is, could this be the thermal fuse?  In other words, would a bad thermal fuse only prevent the heating coil from heating up, or would it also stop the barrel and fan from working? 

Any other suggestions are welcome.  I'm a pretty handy DIYer and have fixed appliances before, including replacing a thermal fuse in a dishwasher a few months ago, so I just want to get some indication of where to look first.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KGF

• MrApplianceMatt

Top Posters In This Topic

Please post the model number so we can get specific information to you. There are a bunch of reasons this could happen and without specific model info we're all just guessing. What I can tell you is that there are usually 2-3 thermal fuses and 2-3 thermostats, any one of which can cause you grief. Depending on model there could be a belt interlock switch that prevents the motor from running if the belt breaks or otherwise falls off the pulley. The fan is driven by the same motor that drives the drum and the motor has a centrifugal switch in it that only closes when the motor is running and provides half of the voltage, and in turn a complete circuit, to the heater... or it could be a bad control board.

Edited by MrApplianceMatt

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for replying.  After posting that I did some exploring and after verifying all the thermal fuses were good behind the lower panel, I removed the control panel and found that the controller card was visibly cooked.  The card is no longer made and even if it was it was $168.  We got 18 years out of this appliance so I broke down and bought a new dryer for $498 at Lowes.